add to wish list | library


10 of 10 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

Support this site by purchasing from these vendors using the links provided below. As an Amazon Associate SA-CD.net earns from qualifying purchases.
 
amazon.ca
amazon.co.uk
amazon.com
amazon.de
 
amazon.fr
amazon.it
 
jpc

Discussion: Steppenwolf: Steppenwolf

Posts: 49
Page: prev 1 2 3 4 5

Post by MacClaus December 6, 2013 (41 of 49)
The AP is the best version, but the old MFSL comes very close.

Post by Bobpaule December 6, 2013 (42 of 49)
As of today only 3 copies are on amazon.co.uk under the "APO" label, is that Analog Productions. The pic shown "Dunhill" on the front.

Post by rammiepie December 6, 2013 (43 of 49)
Bobpaule said:

As of today only 3 copies are on amazon.co.uk under the "APO" label, is that Analog Productions. The pic shown "Dunhill" on the front.

APO is analogue productions, Bobpaule, and, yes, Steppenwolf was originally released on the Dunhill label (now part of the Universal Music Group).

Post by john563 December 20, 2013 (44 of 49)
Got my Steppenwolf sacd two days ago,so why does it still say 'Not yet released'?

Post by john563 December 20, 2013 (45 of 49)
This is my 4. digital version of this album, and the best. Also have the LP but unfortunately my turntable don't work anymore, so I am not able to compare to the LP.

Made a comparison of the four, and also the disgraceful first CD issue from MCA, which turned out to be even more disgraceful than I discovered earlier. Apart from an awfull sound, and that one can hear the tapemachine aligning to speed at the start of many ot the tracks, it also seems that MCA has interchanged the left and right channel !!! On Hoochie Coochie Man John Kay sings in the right channel, on the other three he sings in the left channel.

Being not able to play the LP, can someone here confirm which is the original: left or right channel?

Post by cupboy December 28, 2013 (46 of 49)
Kveld-Úlfr said:

Totally agreed !
The Terre Haute plant is closed but the Californian one stills operates on a limited basis indeed.

There's a SACD plant in California?

Post by bmoura January 2, 2014 (47 of 49)
cupboy said:

There's a SACD plant in California?

I think he's referring to the SACD duplication machines installed at Crest National in Hollywood, CA. (See the announcement at http://www.creativeplanetnetwork.com/dcp/news/crest-national-and-philips-partner-bring-sacd-hybrid-disc-manufacturing-us/40632)

Over the years, Crest National made SACDs for a number of record companies.

It's also important to note that an SACD duplication machine can also make DVDs and CDs.

So the fact that SACD capable machines are in place doesn't mean they are necessarily used for SACDs. They can be switched from SACD to DVD to CD, etc. during the day depending on the orders coming in and demand.

Post by cupboy January 3, 2014 (48 of 49)
bmoura said:

I think he's referring to the SACD duplication machines installed at Crest National in Hollywood, CA. (See the announcement at http://www.creativeplanetnetwork.com/dcp/news/crest-national-and-philips-partner-bring-sacd-hybrid-disc-manufacturing-us/40632)

Over the years, Crest National made SACDs for a number of record companies.

It's also important to note that an SACD duplication machine can also make DVDs and CDs.

So the fact that SACD capable machines are in place doesn't mean they are necessarily used for SACDs. They can be switched from SACD to DVD to CD, etc. during the day depending on the orders coming in and demand.

I remember them making defective DSOTM SACDs, which were known as Crest Crackers. Have they fixed the problem?

Post by rammiepie January 3, 2014 (49 of 49)
cupboy said:

I remember them making defective DSOTM SACDs, which were known as Crest Crackers. Have they fixed the problem?

Actually, cupboy, was never aware of the problems with DSOTM but thanks to Google, I discovered that my disc which I purchased at a local Costco for $10 was pressed in Japan and NOT at Crest. By checking the spine of the disc if the letters US are absent from the code number, it was pressed in Japan by SONY...also states on back cover of disc "except disc Manufactured in Japan for Capitol Records" and is therefore free of the cracks which affected some (but not all) of the Crest pressings. According to CDJapan, the Japanese pressing of DSOTM is now OOP!

Ya learn something new every day!

Page: prev 1 2 3 4 5

Closed