add to wish list | library


17 of 17 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

amazon.ca
amazon.co.uk
amazon.com
amazon.de
 
amazon.fr
amazon.it
CDJapan
jpc

Discussion: Mike Oldfield: Tubular Bells

Posts: 10

Post by peraja June 12, 2014 (1 of 10)
I have this Sacd japan edition from 2011 but i can t get no bass on sub...where s the problem?

Post by sylvian June 12, 2014 (2 of 10)
It is stereo only release - so no LFE discreet channel......it is obvious.

In order to hear multichannel you should buy 2003 releasethat contain mch-tracks. Or you can artifficially switch your receiver to DD surround mode or any other mode, and your receiver do "something" to create multichannel for you.

Stereo tracks does not contain separate programme for LFE channel.

Post by AmonRa June 12, 2014 (3 of 10)
Firstly, there is not much bass in this anyway (if my memory serves). Secondly, certainly a properly setup subwoofer bass management also directs the lowest frequencies from all channels to the sub? Which returns us to the first point...

Post by onenairb June 12, 2014 (4 of 10)
LOL. Why the stupid prices on Amazon.com?
Ahh Japanese sellers seam to be quoting yen as dollars.... OR perhaps not???

Post by mekduk June 12, 2014 (5 of 10)
I've gotten both the DVD Audio disc and SACD with multichannel. Sonic wise, the SACD got my vote.

the Amazon pricing is ridiculously high.

Post by dobyblue June 12, 2014 (6 of 10)
peraja said:

I have this Sacd japan edition from 2011 but i can t get no bass on sub...where s the problem?

Were you to use bass management you would also be converting the DSD to PCM. I find there is a substantial amount of bass in the climax of Part I but not as much as the over the top 2003 mix which is a complete re-recording incidentally. (John Cleese is the master of ceremonies)

The Japan release is a direct DSD transfer of the original UK master, I think you may find keeping the signal chain as pure as possible procures the sweetest sound.

This one truly sounds terrific, however I also love the Classic 180g vinyl, the 4.0 Quad SACD and the 2009 24-bit 5.1 flac download from Bowers & Wilkins. Would be very hard to pick just one if someone said I had to give the others away.

I'm glad I picked this one up before it went OOP, those prices are insane. I'd highly recommend getting Ommadawn SHM-SACD while it's still in print, CD Japan would work out to around $55 shipped.

Post by Kutyatest June 13, 2014 (7 of 10)
I have the DVD-A version, which unlike this SACD, is a remake - hence the title of the DVD-A "Tubular Bells 2003". I'm very pleased with the DVD-A, which I bought early 2006, but really wish I'd also bought the multi-channel SACD at the same time when prices were sensible. At the time of buying the DVD-A, I couldn't see the point of having two albums with the same music on, which is why I didn't go for the SACD. A mistake, I now think.

The DVD-A, as mentioned above is 5.1. Am I correct that the MCH version of this SACD album is 4.1?

Post by sylvian June 15, 2014 (8 of 10)
No-no.....the disc released in 2003 on mch SA-CD has 5.0 (like absolute majority of SA-CD music) discrete tracks or stereo remaster.

The discussed disc from 2011 is only 2.0 and I do not know pretty nothing about this release.

Post by dobyblue June 17, 2014 (9 of 10)
sylvian said:

No-no.....the disc released in 2003 on mch SA-CD has 5.0 (like absolute majority of SA-CD music) discrete tracks or stereo remaster.

The discussed disc from 2011 is only 2.0 and I do not know pretty nothing about this release.

There was no SACD release in 2003, the SACD (released in 2001) is Quad 4.0, there is no information in the centre channel. Most MCH SACDs are 5.1, not 5.0, if they were 5.0 I'd get no info in my LFE when listening in direct mode which is how I always listen to SACDs. I don't think I have a single 5.0 disc in my collection.

The 2003 DVD-A is 5.1

I was fortunate to pick up the Quad SACD @ 2009 for CDN$35 cash, guy at a record fair didn't realize how valuable this title was...my score.

Post by fredblue June 17, 2014 (10 of 10)
dobyblue said:

There was no SACD release in 2003, the SACD (released in 2001) is Quad 4.0, there is no information in the centre channel. Most MCH SACDs are 5.1, not 5.0, if they were 5.0 I'd get no info in my LFE when listening in direct mode which is how I always listen to SACDs. I don't think I have a single 5.0 disc in my collection.

The 2003 DVD-A is 5.1

I was fortunate to pick up the Quad SACD @ 2009 for CDN$35 cash, guy at a record fair didn't realize how valuable this title was...my score.

It is a notable exception but.. have you got the Marvin Gaye "Let's Get It On" UMG MultiCh SACD?
Marvin Gaye: Let's Get It On ..That's in 5.0.

Also, I've a few Classical & Jazz titles similarly with no LFE and I've a vague recollection of a few other rock & pop surround discs that surprisingly/weirdly/annoyingly don't.. I'll get my thinking cap on!

Closed