add to wish list | library


Not yet released

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Discussion:

Posts: 41
Page: prev 1 2 3 4 5 next

Post by rammiepie October 19, 2014 (11 of 41)
Astral said:

I also preferred the SHM-SACD of Breakfast In America, but I was also quite content with the 24/96.

I'm with you - there are other fish to fry, no need to wait. With Ray Staff mastering, I have confidence this will be outstanding.

I have the Speakers Corner vinyl by the way - now THAT is definitive.

What I DO find encouraging, Robert, is the reductive pricing of the once premium priced SHM~SACDs.

As for Vinyl, my turntables are in mothballs because I have an all Meridian System which converts ALL incoming signals to digital.

Just read an interesting article in SOUND/VISION that the correct way to hear any MONO Vinyl is to install a MONO cartridge on your tonearm to avoid crosstalk, Groove differences (between MONO/STEREO) etc, which stereo cartridges impart.

They were specifically referring to the new Beatles MONO reissues but the author also cited the MONO vinyl of Kind Of Blue, which, in his mind, is THE definitive version.

Interesting read.

And being the self professed surround junkie that I AM, with literally thousands of surround discs in my collection (DVD~A, SACD, BD~A, BD~V and DVDs and of course FIOS), I really don't miss the vinyl experience.

Post by Astral October 19, 2014 (12 of 41)
rammiepie said:

What I DO find encouraging, Robert, is the reductive pricing of the once premium priced SHM~SACDs.

As for Vinyl, my turntables are in mothballs because I have an all Meridian System which converts ALL incoming signals to digital.

Just read an interesting article in SOUND/VISION that the correct way to hear any MONO Vinyl is to install a MONO cartridge on your tonearm to avoid crosstalk, Groove differences (between MONO/STEREO) etc, which stereo cartridges impart.

They were specifically referring to the new Beatles MONO reissues but the author also cited the MONO vinyl of Kind Of Blue, which, in his mind, is THE definitive version.

Interesting read.

And being the self professed surround junkie that I AM, with literally thousands of surround discs in my collection (DVD~A, SACD, BD~A, BD~V and DVDs and of course FIOS), I really don't miss the vinyl experience.

That article in Sound/Vision - very misleading.

Modern mono vinyl is cut differently from historic vinyl. Today, mono vinyl is cut with a stereo cutting head. So basically it is one channel stereo, if that makes any sense. Since around 1968 mono vinyl has been cut with a stereo cutting head. Pre-1968 - some were, some with a mono head - in which case certainly a mono cart is the way to go.

I would think that most by far vintage mono collectors would use a mono cart, most would probably have a stereo arm and a mono arm to avoid the pain of switching carts.

IMO though it is an advantage to have a mono switch on the phono stage to sum the two mono signals into one, there is some noise reduction benefit - not huge, but a bit.

But no one who buys modern mono need buy a mono cart.

Post by kaalkop November 13, 2014 (13 of 41)
According to CDJapan the release is no longer postponed but cancelled.

Post by Lost in the Music November 14, 2014 (14 of 41)
I don't have the blu-ray of Breakfast in America. Is it anything like the SHM-SACD, which I love ?
Does one have to navigate a menu, or does it play it's best format on insert ?

I am literally going to cry if the SHM-SACD of Crime of the Century has really been cancelled.

Post by Kutyatest November 14, 2014 (15 of 41)
kaalkop said:

According to CDJapan the release is no longer postponed but cancelled.

Yes, someone else that uses this forum made me aware of this. A great shame. I've had my eyes on this release for months and months.

I wonder why this has happened.

Post by fredblue November 14, 2014 (16 of 41)
Lost in the Music said:

I don't have the blu-ray of Breakfast in America. Is it anything like the SHM-SACD, which I love ?
Does one have to navigate a menu, or does it play it's best format on insert ?

I am literally going to cry if the SHM-SACD of Crime of the Century has really been cancelled.

No they're quite different, different mastering and sounds like they're from two different sources to me. The SHM-SACD & it's Platinum equivalent wipe the floor with the Blu-ray imho. fwiw, the Blu-ray auto plays the PCM 2.0 option upon loading but I can't recommend it to you in any case, particularly as you have the superior SACD already.

Post by Lost in the Music November 18, 2014 (17 of 41)
fredblue said:

No they're quite different, different mastering and sounds like they're from two different sources to me. The SHM-SACD & it's Platinum equivalent wipe the floor with the Blu-ray imho. fwiw, the Blu-ray auto plays the PCM 2.0 option upon loading but I can't recommend it to you in any case, particularly as you have the superior SACD already.

Thanks fredblue.
I think I will pass on the blu-ray for Breakfast in America, and stick with the fabulous SHM-SACD.
Might need to buy Crime of the Century on blu-ray though, if there's not to be an SHM-SACD :-(

Post by hooperthom December 5, 2014 (18 of 41)
I see its available now from Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc. Hope Amazon will release it on the 9th.

Post by rammiepie December 5, 2014 (19 of 41)
hooperthom said:

I see its available now from Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc. Hope Amazon will release it on the 9th.

AmazonUK has the BD~A of Crime Of The Century listed as a December 8th release. I'll be patient and await an AmazonUS release.

Hoop, it actually is listed for $29 (only 1 is available at that price) @ AmazonUS...if you follow the listing from this site (under Supertramp BD~A).

Still wonder if Universal Japan will eventually release it on SHM~SACD (my hunch is YES since Breakfast in America was a top selling SHM~SACD, sadly OOP).

Post by hooperthom December 6, 2014 (20 of 41)
rammiepie said:

Hoop, it actually is listed for $29 (only 1 is available at that price) @ AmazonUS...if you follow the listing from this site (under Supertramp BD~A).

I pre-ordered it through Amazon US, I'll wait till the 9th, if it gets delayed I'll just get it from Acoustic Sounds.

Page: prev 1 2 3 4 5 next

Closed