add to wish list | library


8 of 14 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

 

Discussion: Supertramp: Crime of the century

Posts: 117
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 next

Post by Lost in the Music December 10, 2014 (1 of 117)
Second-to-last page in booklet says:
40th Anniversary edition

Album remastered by Ray Staff at Air Studios,
London.

Doesn't say whether from tape or other source.

Has a great 'typo' on the back cover:
"Ultra high quality audio - no video content. Minimum 24bit/96hz audio"
Hope sample rate is higher than that!

Post by deckerm December 10, 2014 (2 of 117)
The difference the letter 'k' can make

Post by fredblue December 11, 2014 (3 of 117)
Oh dear.. initial first listen.. I can't sugar coat it.. so far this sounds, for the most part, lacking.

It's not loud, far from it, it's just.. lifeless, even when you crank it.. and there's what sounds like tape dropout.. cymbal crashes fall apart and bass is flabby and awful.. could the master tape be knackered?

Roll on that SHM-SACD..! Ok, I'll give this BDA another fair crack of the whip but so far thoroughly disappointed.

Just for comparison's sake, I've now put on the old 80's UK A&M CD (CDA 68258) and to be frank, there just is no comparison!

Gutted a 25 year old CD I got for under a tenner wipes the floor with a brand new £25 Hi-Res Blu-ray but that's my impression so far. As I said I'll try this BD again and try to be as impartial as poss but so far, so meh.

Post by rammiepie December 11, 2014 (4 of 117)
fredblue said:

Oh dear.. initial first listen.. I can't sugar coat it.. so far this sounds, for the most part, lacking.

It's not loud, far from it, it's just.. lifeless, even when you crank it.. and there's what sounds like tape dropout.. cymbal crashes fall apart and bass is flabby and awful.. could the master tape be knackered?

Roll on that SHM-SACD..! Ok, I'll give this BDA another fair crack of the whip but so far thoroughly disappointed.

Just for comparison's sake, I've now put on the old 80's UK A&M CD (CDA 68258) and to be frank, there just is no comparison!

Gutted a 25 year old CD I got for under a tenner wipes the floor with a brand new £25 Hi-Res Blu-ray but that's my impression so far. As I said I'll try this BD again and try to be as impartial as poss but so far, so meh.

I really appreciate your candor, Adam. I have not ordered it yet and based on your initial impression, it sounds like a stinker.

I also predicted an eventual SHM~SACD and I'd rather invest the money in a Criterion BD~V then another disappointing high priced clunker!

Or perhaps your "kit" was having a really bad hair day

Post by fredblue December 11, 2014 (5 of 117)
rammiepie said:

I really appreciate your candor, Adam. I have not ordered it yet and based on your initial impression, it sounds like a stinker.

I also predicted an eventual SHM~SACD and I'd rather invest the money in a Criterion BD~V then another disappointing high priced clunker!

Or perhaps your "kit" was having a really bad hair day ;-(

I'm always open to kit having a wobble or my ears etc too but as I said I gave the old A&M CD a play straight after (same old kit, same old me) and that inauspicious looking old A&M CD just totally kicks the BD's derrière all over town I'm afraid.

Post by rammiepie December 11, 2014 (6 of 117)
fredblue said:

I'm always open to kit having a wobble or my ears etc too but as I said I gave the old A&M CD a play straight after (same old kit, same old me) and that inauspicious looking old A&M CD just totally kicks the BD's derrière all over town I'm afraid.

Being that it was a VERY highly anticipated release, perhaps they'll order a repress as it sounds to me that something went terribly awry in the mastering process.

I will most definitely postpone ordering my copy as I trust your judgment, AB!

Really, thanks for the heads up!

Post by Marpow December 11, 2014 (7 of 117)
rammiepie said:

Being that it was a VERY highly anticipated release, perhaps they'll order a repress as it sounds to me that something went terribly awry in the mastering process.

I will most definitely postpone ordering my copy as I trust your judgment, AB!

Really, thanks for the heads up!

I have confirmation of Dec 17th delivery, yet I still can cancel if I want.

I will stick with the order and listen to it through Adam's ears.

My expectations are certainly crashed at moment.

Post by rammiepie December 11, 2014 (8 of 117)
Marpow said:

I have confirmation of Dec 17th delivery, yet I still can cancel if I want.

I will stick with the order and listen to it through Adam's ears.

My expectations are certainly crashed at moment.

A true crime of the NEW century!

Post by Audio Ed December 11, 2014 (9 of 117)
I too have pre-ordered the Blu-ray of COTC and await its arrival. I am questioning my order based on the forum posts so far. I did go onto Amazon's UK site to see if there were any reviews. I checked other places too but the UK site seems to be the only Blu-ray review so far.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ELVVABW/?tag=sacdinfocom08-21

Check the review by Trismegistus.

After reading his review I am hoping that it may be fine?????

I will post a review when I get mine but that may not be for another week.

Post by fredblue December 11, 2014 (10 of 117)
Marpow said:

I have confirmation of Dec 17th delivery, yet I still can cancel if I want.

I will stick with the order and listen to it through Adam's ears.

My expectations are certainly crashed at moment.

Oh do go ahead with your order! You must listen with your ears! You may well love it!

"If everyone was listening enough.." :-D

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 next

Closed