add to wish list | library


6 of 6 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

amazon.it
 
jpc

Discussion: Mozart, Verdi, Ives: Quartets - Schumann Quartett

Posts: 44
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 next

Post by fausto K January 5, 2015 (1 of 44)
this is appetising. A first on SACD for the Mozart and Ives. I'd be particularly interested in the Ives.
Is anyone familiar with their previous disc for ArsBeethoven, Bartok, Brahms: Quartets - Schumann Quartett?

Post by Lute January 6, 2015 (2 of 44)
I am eagerly awaiting this one, too. But for me, it's the Mozart quartet that's got me most excited. His last 4 quartets, the so-called Prussian quartets, have long been favorites of mine. The 'Haydn' quartets might be where Mozart made his biggest mark in the world of the string quartet, but his last four have an emotional pull that I find simply irresistible. I am so happy to see that the D major is finally coming to SACD.

I don't have the Schumann Quartett's earlier SACD. I did a search on the web. There seems to be more about them in the German press.

Anyway, where is our resident quartet guru (Beagle) when you need him? ;-)

Post by fausto K January 8, 2015 (3 of 44)
Lute said:

I am eagerly awaiting this one, too. But for me, it's the Mozart quartet that's got me most excited. His last 4 quartets, the so-called Prussian quartets, have long been favorites of mine. The 'Haydn' quartets might be where Mozart made his biggest mark in the world of the string quartet, but his last four have an emotional pull that I find simply irresistible. I am so happy to see that the D major is finally coming to SACD.

...

The Hagen Qt are currently performing the Prussian qts as part of their current Mozart cycle. Here's hoping that they record them, or at least either of the three, for Myrios!

Post by Lute January 8, 2015 (4 of 44)
fausto K said:

The Hagen Qt are currently performing the Prussian qts as part of their current Mozart cycle. Here's hoping that they record them, or at least either of the three, for Myrios!

+3

Hear Hear Hear... Myrios!

Oh! Now you've really got my imagination going into high gear, Fausto. ;-)

And I should correct my previous post. The Hoffmeister quartet isn't part of The Prussian quartets. I just tend to group them together in my mind.

OT... Thanks again for the heads up on the Brian Eno RBCDs. I got Nerve Net, The Shutov Assembly, and Neroli. Terrific stuff!

Post by fausto K January 8, 2015 (5 of 44)
Lute said:

+3

Hear Hear Hear... Myrios!

Oh! Now you've really got my imagination going into high gear, Fausto. ;-)

And I should correct my previous post. The Hoffmeister quartet isn't part of The Prussian quartets. I just tend to group them together in my mind.

OT... Thanks again for the heads up on the Brian Eno RBCDs. I got Nerve Net, The Shutov Assembly, and Neroli. Terrific stuff!

It's just speculation, but I'm pretty confident that for their next disc they will record Mozart, and I'm hoping for the Prussian too. Maybe we should put in a request to Myrios.

Pleased to hear you like those Eno reissues. I'm a big fan of those 90s albums, much better than what Eno does currently, prolific as he is, since his signing with the Warp label in the late noughties. Among the many Eno related releases from 2014, apart from those reissues, I quite liked the Fripp/Eno Live album "Live in Paris 1975" (released as downloads only via Robert Fripp's site a few years ago, but now on 3 cds), even though the sound quality is far from high end. But it's a live album after all. For better (studio) sound, one should of course listen to No Pussyfooting, the original, and follow-up Evening Star. Now those call for SACD (or BluRay)!!

Post by Lute January 8, 2015 (6 of 44)
fausto K said:

It's just speculation, but I'm pretty confident that for their next disc they will record Mozart, and I'm hoping for the Prussian too. Maybe we should put in a request to Myrios.

I sent Myrios a friendly email requesting a Mch/stereo SACD recording of The Prussian and Hoffmeister quartets by the Hagen Quartett.

Fingers crossed :)

Post by Iain January 9, 2015 (7 of 44)
fausto K said:

this is appetising. A first on SACD for the Mozart and Ives. I'd be particularly interested in the Ives.
Is anyone familiar with their previous disc for ArsBeethoven, Bartok, Brahms: Quartets - Schumann Quartett?

It's great that twentieth-century music is finally being recognised as a viable format on SA-CD.

However, the offerings remain paltry as in the Ives, being mixed in with more "standard" fare here.

Myrios have recently did this as well with the Anton Webern work:
Hagen Quartett 30

I would quite like to see all Ives or all Webern releases, rather than this. What are they thinking with both titles?

There must be a logical reason for this, but I can't think of one.

Post by Lute January 9, 2015 (8 of 44)
Stephan Cahen from Myrios was kind enough to send me a reply to my request.

It doesn't look like we will be getting Mozart's Prussian quartets on SACD from the Hagens. He said that the Hagens already recorded Mozart's quartets for DG and they don't like to re-record music unless they feel that they have something new or more to say. So... Mozart's quartets STILL remain appallingly underrepresented on SACD (and multichannel in general).

On a sort of positive note, Stephan Cahen did mentioned that the Hagens just recorded 2 of Mozart's string quartets: K.387 and 458 in December. He said...

"Unfortunately, this does not include modern recording techniques. Anyway, this new disc will also be the premiere for them and us on the Stradivari "Paganini" instruments, a complete set of "matched" Strads that previously have been played by the Tokyo String Quartet. The difference to the instruments they've played before is crucial. This now is real "hi-res", and I would love to re-record everything, including myrios' previous recordings.

You will see the new disc soon announced (around march in Europe/Asia and april in the USA/CAN). And we will see some Brahms with the Hagens later this or early next year."

By "does not include modern recording techniques", I believe he is saying the Mozart and Brahms releases will not be on SACD or other hirez formats...but only on RBCDs and/or low Rez downloads. I sent a second email asking for clarification on this point. I am waiting for his reply.

Post by fausto K January 10, 2015 (9 of 44)
Iain said:

It's great that twentieth-century music is finally being recognised as a viable format on SA-CD.

However, the offerings remain paltry as in the Ives, being mixed in with more "standard" fare here.

Myrios have recently did this as well with the Anton Webern work:
Hagen Quartett 30

I would quite like to see all Ives or all Webern releases, rather than this. What are they thinking with both titles?

There must be a logical reason for this, but I can't think of one.

I agree that an all-Ives or all-Webern disc would be most welcome, but I think that the reason behind these mixed discs is part performer's choice part marketing: an all-Ives disc is most likely going to sell a lot less than one mixed with Mozart and Verdi, and Ivesians like us will buy the latter anyway, if only for the Ives included. (btw, I'm not a big fan of Ives's first string quartet, the Naxos recording with the Blair Qt will do.) Incidentally, I'm still waiting for a SACD of the Robert Browning Overture, one of my favourite Ives pieces.

Post by fausto K January 10, 2015 (10 of 44)
Lute said:

...

thanks for inquiring. That's a bummer of course, no Prussian qts. And I don't understand the reasoning that "they don't like to re-record music unless they feel that they have someting new or more to say". Why then do an elaborate Mozart cycle on tour, if not for feeling that one has something new to say?

Positive to read that there is more Brahms forthcoming from the Hagen: String qts, quintets and sextets please, any.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 next

Closed