add to wish list | library


12 of 12 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

amazon.ca
amazon.co.uk
 
amazon.de
 
 
amazon.it
 
 

Discussion: Gliere: Cello Concerto, Horn Concerto - Viersen, Erkalp, Soustrot

Posts: 15
Page: 1 2 next

Post by samayoeruorandajin March 26, 2015 (1 of 15)
This disc was extremely difficult to find as it's now out of print everywhere. Amazon, Europadisc, MDT, Berkshire, and other assorted places (like ebay and Amazon MP) didn't have it. Finally found it at Harold Moores online shop and it was the last one!

Playing the cello concerto now, it's a beautiful piece of music. If you can find this disc, pick it up. You won't regret it. The second movement of the cello concerto is meltingly lovely. What a very unknown treasure. I love this.

Post by Chris from Lafayette March 27, 2015 (2 of 15)
samayoeruorandajin said:

This disc was extremely difficult to find as it's now out of print everywhere. Amazon, Europadisc, MDT, Berkshire, and other assorted places (like ebay and Amazon MP) didn't have it. Finally found it at Harold Moores online shop and it was the last one!

Playing the cello concerto now, it's a beautiful piece of music. If you can find this disc, pick it up. You won't regret it. The second movement of the cello concerto is meltingly lovely. What a very unknown treasure. I love this.

FD - you are so right. I've had this disc for years, and I always think how Gliere's music ought to be better known - IMHO, it's really deserving of being standard repertoire stuff. I'm surprised more cellists don't take up the Cello Concerto - for all the work's beauty and lyricism, maybe they're apprehensive because of its generous length. IIRC, I think I may have found my copy of this disc (used) at Amoeba in San Francisco.

Of course, my wife and I are big fans of the Ilya Muromets symphony - in fact, she thinks it's a better work than most of the Mahler symphonies! And just yesterday, I was listening to "The Sirens", a haunting symphonic poem very much in the style of parts of Ilya Muromets. And then there's those off the wall Soviet celebration pieces - I love that Heroic March for the Buryiat-Mongolian ASSR, with its inclusion of The Internationale amid the exoticism of the work as a whole. Seriously, this guy wrote some great music!

Post by Mahler-fan March 27, 2015 (3 of 15)
It's available in the webshop of the orchestra. The webshop does not mention that what's available is a RBCD or SACD, but I suppose a small company as Talent would produce two versions.

I ordered it, so in a week or so I should be able to tell if it's an SACD.

Post by samayoeruorandajin March 27, 2015 (4 of 15)
I think what you'll be getting is a SACD. However, everywhere else I looked it's not available. Harold Moore's was a stab in the dark with multiple searches. I spent hours looking for it. Music-web has a link to it, but 1 day after ordering there, I got an email that it was OOP.

Post by Claude March 27, 2015 (5 of 15)
Mahler-fan said:

The webshop does not mention that what's available is a RBCD or SACD, but I suppose a small company as Talent would produce two versions.

Is there a "not" missing in the second part of your sentence?

Small labels usually have a single inventory policy.

But what can happen is that after the initial hybrid SACD pressing run is sold out, the title gets silently released again as a RBCD, using the same reference number and creating uncertainty about the format (the product in online stores could be the old hybrid SACD or the new RBCD).

Post by samayoeruorandajin March 27, 2015 (6 of 15)
Claude said:

Is there a "not" missing in the second part of your sentence?

Small labels usually have a single inventory policy.

But what can happen is that after the initial hybrid SACD pressing run is sold out, the title gets silently released again as a RBCD, using the same reference number and creating uncertainty about the format (the product in online stores could be the old hybrid SACD or the new RBCD).

Very possible. I consider my find a lucky one.

Post by Mahler-fan April 7, 2015 (7 of 15)
Claude said:

Is there a "not" missing in the second part of your sentence?

Small labels usually have a single inventory policy.

But what can happen is that after the initial hybrid SACD pressing run is sold out, the title gets silently released again as a RBCD, using the same reference number and creating uncertainty about the format (the product in online stores could be the old hybrid SACD or the new RBCD).

Indeed, there was a 'not' missing.

Meanwhile I can confirm that the disc I received from the orchestra's webshop is an SACD. I paid 19 incl. shipping costs.

Post by Panaeff April 7, 2015 (8 of 15)
Perhaps if you are in Belgium it is a fine option. However, their webstore is not at all set up to receive orders from overseas (US in particular) and is lacking even the most basic means of sending payment, e.g. payPal or credit card.

Post by Panaeff April 8, 2015 (9 of 15)
Mahler-fan said:


Meanwhile I can confirm that the disc I received from the orchestra's webshop is an SACD. I paid 19 incl. shipping costs.

Johan, since you are in Belgium, would you consider ordering this Gliere SACD for me (shipped to the US) as a favor to a fellow Gliere fan? I can send you appropriate payment via Paypal ahead of time.

Thanks very much, and please respond to me via email at panaeff dot rybnadzor AT gmail dot com.
Gleb Panaeff

Post by Fugue April 8, 2015 (10 of 15)
I bit the bullet and bought the $45 offering from an Amazon seller. I hope I love it.

Page: 1 2 next

Closed