add to wish list | library


8 of 9 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

 

Discussion: Thelonious Monk Quartet: Monk's Dream

Posts: 24
Page: 1 2 3 next

Post by Polarius T April 18, 2015 (1 of 24)
After an infinity spent waiting, this seems to now AT LAST be available, although listed by many as CORG0148SA instead of the above.

Post by rammiepie April 18, 2015 (2 of 24)
Polarius T said:

After an infinity spent waiting, this seems to now AT LAST be available, although listed by many as CORG0148SA instead of the above.

Thanks for the heads~up, Polarius T.

A much sought after title.

They're also (finally) releasing the Ben Webster/Harry 'Sweets' Edison title, as well Ben Webster & "Sweets" Edison: Wanted to do one together on April 21st.

Wonder if Mingus' "Tijuana Moods" Stereo SACD is still on tap?

Post by cds23 April 19, 2015 (3 of 24)
rammiepie said:

Thanks for the heads~up, Polarius T.

A much sought after title.

They're also (finally) releasing the Ben Webster/Harry 'Sweets' Edison title, as well Ben Webster & "Sweets" Edison: Wanted to do one together on April 21st.

Wonder if Mingus' "Tijuana Moods" Stereo SACD is still on tap?

The Ben Webster/Sweets Edison SACD has been released roughly 2 months ago, I have been listening to it for weeks. Highly recommended.

As for the Monk SACD, it seems that it's only available through Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc and MusicDirect at the moment, and that's way too expensive if don't live in the states in terms of shipping costs.

Post by undertone April 19, 2015 (4 of 24)
One person already doesn't recommend it? I encourage that person to share further details. I'm ordering this disc from the distributor, and have every expectation that it will be as well-transferred and mastered as the other titles ORG has released on SACD.

Post by rammiepie April 19, 2015 (5 of 24)
undertone said:

One person already doesn't recommend it? I encourage that person to share further details. I'm ordering this disc from the distributor, and have every expectation that it will be as well-transferred and mastered as the other titles ORG has released on SACD.

I know that there was an issue with ORG's SACD of Jeff Buckley's Grace and a repress was ordered (and rectified, thankfully).

Have heard NO negatives regarding Monk's Dream unless it was a pressing issue.

Agree, Undertone: ALL ORG SACDs have been nothing short of superb!

Post by Claude May 8, 2015 (6 of 24)
From a discussion on the Steve Hoffman, it looks like this SACD has been mastered from the original stereo mix-down tape, which has added reverb, while the 2002 Sony CD was remixed from the original three-track tapes, without reverb.

I haven't checked the Sony CD for this yet, and I don't have the SACD.

Post by rammiepie May 8, 2015 (7 of 24)
Claude said:

From a discussion on the Steve Hoffman, it looks like this SACD has been mastered from the original stereo mix-down tape, which has added reverb, while the 2002 Sony CD was remixed from the original three-track tapes, without reverb.

I haven't checked the Sony CD for this yet, and I don't have the SACD.

Claude, although I'm NOT a SH forum member, I did peruse the Monk's Dream posts and it seems SH forum member "cds23" has both versions (2002 LEGACY RBCD and ORG's SACD) and prefers the sound of the SACD inferring that it is NOT known which masters Bernie Grundman accessed when mastering the SACD version. That Monk's Dream was recorded in three channel would, IMHO, be a better candidate for AP's continuing three channel SACD releases, but alas, that is not the case!

What I did find peculiar was the difference in timings of the various tracks.....supposedly shorter on the SACD than on the original LPs.

I should have my copy soon but I have so far been quite impressed with ORG's splendid SACD releases.

Post by undertone May 11, 2015 (8 of 24)
I just received a copy in a shipment that also included "Tijuana Moods" (which I submitted to this site).

Sound quality of this SACD is outstanding, warm, detailed and deep -- exactly what drew me to the SACD medium a decade ago.

Regarding the use of plate reverb in the original master tape: Columbia's engineers and producer Teo Macero employed the best technology in service at that time. Reverb on this recording is not excessive, it serves to set the drums back in the soundstage and smooth out the overall mix. I haven't heard the 2002 Sony reissue, so I cannot offer a listening comparison. My response is based on experiences of other recordings from that era on LP, CD and SACD.

Post by rammiepie May 11, 2015 (9 of 24)
undertone said:

I just received a copy in a shipment that also included "Tijuana Moods" (which I submitted to this site).

Sound quality of this SACD is outstanding, warm, detailed and deep -- exactly what drew me to the SACD medium a decade ago.

Regarding the use of plate reverb in the original master tape: Columbia's engineers and producer Teo Macero employed the best technology in service at that time. Reverb on this recording is not excessive, it serves to set the drums back in the soundstage and smooth out the overall mix. I haven't heard the 2002 Sony reissue, so I cannot offer a listening comparison. My response is based on experiences of other recordings from that era on LP, CD and SACD.

I likewise received Monk's Dream and Tijuana Moods in today's mail but haven't had a chance to listen on my main system.

To reiterate, poster cds23 does have the 2002 Sony RBCD remaster and the ORG SACD and likewise prefers the sound of the SACD as well.

To potential purchasers, it seems the ORG SACD IS the preferred version.

I only hope ORG continues it's SACD reissues because there are no upcoming titles scheduled on their website. http://www.originalrecordingsgroup.com/htm/comingsoon.htm

Post by undertone May 11, 2015 (10 of 24)
rammiepie said:

I likewise received Monk's Dream and Tijuana Moods in today's mail but haven't had a chance to listen on my main system.

Ralph, when you do, be prepared to visit jazz nirvana.

I hope sales of both reissues will justify the time and expense for Original Recordings Group to acquire and remaster. But the Monk and Mingus SACDs are niche products, and with distribution limited to audiophile sites, their SACD line isn't ever likely to expand to a scale comparable to Analogue Productions or MoFi.

Page: 1 2 3 next

Closed