add to wish list | library


4 of 4 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

amazon.ca
amazon.co.uk
amazon.com
amazon.de
 
amazon.fr
amazon.it
 
jpc

Discussion: Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 5 - Tilson Thomas

Posts: 80
Page: prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Post by Euell Neverno August 8, 2015 (71 of 80)
samayoeruorandajin said:

Ya, hook it up to your stereo via Roku, your PS3, or OPPO. I can listen to it, even if lower rez on my regular main system, via my PS3.

Thanks for the suggestions, but would only work with the TV surround, which is tolerable, but not great for music. I already have several Tchaikovsky Fifths in both SACD and RBCD. While I do get a 10% discount, is the MTT version special? There is no shortage of recorded Tchaikovsky Fifths, including SACD, and I thought it a rather strange choice for an SF Symphony recording. Notwithstanding Castor's effusive praise, he rates the performance four stars rather than five. The Amazon reviewers were more explicitly underwhelmed, one referring to the performance as "tepid." Guess that is how Rammie, the rock music buff, likes his classical, although I find that strange for someone whose musical tastes run to speakers blasting away.

Post by rammiepie August 8, 2015 (72 of 80)
Euell Neverno said:

The Amazon reviewers were more explicitly underwhelmed, one referring to the performance as "tepid." Guess that is how Rammie, the rock music buff, likes his classical, although I find that strange for someone whose musical tastes run to speakers blasting away.

Yes, Euell, and one of the Amazon reviewers was Gerald (Disbeliever) who repeatedly dissed this disc on this thread.

If you have several versions of the 5th which you are 'comfortable' with then why even bother adding another "questionable" one to your arsenal?

I played MMT 5th at a robust volume. As I get older, I don't relish LOUD music even though my speakers are capable of reproducing some pretty serious decibels.

Post by Euell Neverno August 8, 2015 (73 of 80)
rammiepie said:


If you have several versions of the 5th which you are 'comfortable' with then why even bother adding another "questionable" one to your arsenal?

I played MMT 5th at a robust volume. As I get older, I don't relish LOUD music even though my speakers are capable of reproducing some pretty serious decibels.

Gerald's Amazon review was not the source of the "tepid" comment concerning the MTT Tchaikovsky Fifth.

BTW, you say you played the MTT Fifth at "robust volume," but don't relish loud music. Appears to be a non-sequitur there.

Post by rammiepie August 8, 2015 (74 of 80)
Euell Neverno said:

BTW, you say you played the MTT Fifth at "robust volume," but don't relish loud music. Appears to be a non-sequitur there.

I find that MOST multichannel SACDs are mastered with a low output level, which, due to accomodate the recording's dynamic range, necessitates raising the volume control to a higher than normal level.

I also experience the same with the DTS 5.1 discs.

Post by samayoeruorandajin August 8, 2015 (75 of 80)
My PS3 runs via HDMI cable to my receiver, where yes, I do have it set for surround. It at least gives me an idea of the music performance. Sound is compromised because the sound is only 320 kps, but it gives some semblance of what it would sound like and enough for me to decide if I want to get the actual disc or higher rez download.

Post by akiralx August 9, 2015 (76 of 80)
Euell Neverno said:

Gerald's Amazon review was not the source of the "tepid" comment concerning the MTT Tchaikovsky Fifth.

BTW, you say you played the MTT Fifth at "robust volume," but don't relish loud music. Appears to be a non-sequitur there.

Do you two seriously think anyone else wants to read your pathetic feud? Just take it to email...

Post by Euell Neverno August 9, 2015 (77 of 80)
akiralx said:

Do you two seriously think anyone else wants to read your pathetic feud? Just take it to email...

Ah, Alex the enforcer. No one requires you to read these posts, so don't.

Post by akiralx August 9, 2015 (78 of 80)
Euell Neverno said:

Ah, Alex the enforcer. No one requires you to read these posts, so don't.

I want to read about MTT's Tchaikovsky 5 but sadly I have to wade through pages of adolescent one-upmanship to do so...

Post by Euell Neverno August 9, 2015 (79 of 80)
akiralx said:

I want to read about MTT's Tchaikovsky 5 but sadly I have to wade through pages of adolescent one-upmanship to do so...

FYI, there hasn't been anything significant on the MTT Tchaikovsky 5th since you last posted August 6.

Post by samayoeruorandajin August 9, 2015 (80 of 80)
Thanks Euell, but I think what I recommended is worth it.

Alex, if you can get Spotify, I recommend at least giving it a listen to see if the performance is something you want to investigate further.

Page: prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Closed