add to wish list | library


12 of 13 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

amazon.ca
amazon.co.uk
amazon.com
amazon.de
amazon.es
amazon.fr
amazon.it
 
jpc

Discussion: Miles Davis: Kind of Blue

Posts: 32
Page: 1 2 3 4 next

Post by undertone June 19, 2015 (1 of 32)
This title finally shipped and arrived three years after pre-order from the distributor. I've been comparing the MoFi SACD to both the stereo program on CS 64935 (Miles Davis: Kind of Blue), and the 1995 Classic Records 2-LP set. All three versions are distinctive enough to make for an enjoyable listening experience, but I think the MoFi most successfully represents authentic instrument sound.

I wonder how much interest there will be in the MoFi SACD, when two previous SACD versions offered a well-transferred three-channel program and an alternate take of "Flamenco Sketches" in addition to the stereo mix.

Post by soundboy June 19, 2015 (2 of 32)
undertone said:

I wonder how much interest there will be in the MoFi SACD, when two previous SACD versions offered a well-transferred three-channel program and an alternate take of "Flamenco Sketches" in addition to the stereo mix.

Enough interest that Hong Kong Sony Music also released "Kind of Blue" on stereo hybrid SACD last week.

Post by RWetmore June 20, 2015 (3 of 32)
I got this a couple days ago, and its actual release has been long awaited. It is very good and overall somewhat better than the 2007 Sony Japanese transfer, which seems to have its levels artificially boosted; however the MoFi transfer does suffer from some artificial softening and rounding of the sound associated with A/D DSD conversion from every converter except the Grimm AD1. Like all transfers, final A/D should have been done with the Grimm.

That any final DSD A/D is being done with anything other than the Grimm at this point is an abomination, as how many more times are these classics going to be transferred? And the tapes aren't getting any younger. Another lost opportunity at virtual perfection since great care to get everything else optimal was no doubt employed by MoFi.

Post by RWetmore June 20, 2015 (4 of 32)
I will say though that it is the best transfer I've heard to date.

Post by stvnharr June 20, 2015 (5 of 32)
Like the other responders, I just received this yesterday after the 2 year wait. I have had every sacd release of KOB, and I find that I like this one the best, though there really isn't a lot of difference between them all.
I have liked all of the Mofi Miles Davis sacd's, and look forward to the rest of them.

Post by Marpow June 20, 2015 (6 of 32)
Thanks for all of your input. My only version of this is an itunes mp3, and I have been waiting, knowing there are so many versions, that I believe this one MOFI disc will be a good choice for me.

Post by undertone June 20, 2015 (7 of 32)
I just sent a query to MoFi to clarify the source used to master the new SACD. Thanks, RWetmore, for the sonic comparison between the MoFi and the 2007 Sony Japan version. I believe the correct-speed three-channel tape of the March 2 session was only located in the mid-1990s, and may not have much wear.

Post by cds23 June 20, 2015 (8 of 32)
undertone said:

I just sent a query to MoFi to clarify the source used to master the new SACD. Thanks, RWetmore, for the sonic comparison between the MoFi and the 2007 Sony Japan version. I believe the correct-speed three-channel tape of the March 2 session was only located in the mid-1990s, and may not have much wear.

I asked MFSL about this a year ago. They used the all-analog stereo mixdown tape done in 1997 by Mark Wilder. There are no "correct" speed three channel tapes, both of the three channel tapes (the main tape and and the back up tapes) ran slightly fast while recording. It was only in the nineties (for the Sony Mastersound Gold CD) that Mark Wilder adjusted the speed while mixing. In '97 they did another remix (used for the MFSL SACD and the Legacy CDs, among others), the second of three remixes in total (the last one was done in 2013 and used for the HDTracks download.) HTH.

Post by rammiepie June 20, 2015 (9 of 32)
Does anyone know if MoFi's Kind Of Blue Stereo SACD was replicated utilizing Quad DSD (256)?

Post by stvnharr June 20, 2015 (10 of 32)
cds23 said:

I asked MFSL about this a year ago. They used the all-analog stereo mixdown tape done in 1997 by Mark Wilder. There are no "correct" speed three channel tapes, both of the three channel tapes (the main tape and and the back up tapes) ran slightly fast while recording. It was only in the nineties (for the Sony Mastersound Gold CD) that Mark Wilder adjusted the speed while mixing. In '97 they did another remix (used for the MFSL SACD and the Legacy CDs, among others), the second of three remixes in total (the last one was done in 2013 and used for the HDTracks download.) HTH.

Thanks for that most informative post.

Page: 1 2 3 4 next

Closed