add to wish list | library


2 of 2 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

amazon.co.uk
 
 

Discussion: Bruch: Violin Concerto No. 2, Konzertstuck - Wallin, Kamu

Posts: 10

Post by akiralx October 4, 2015 (1 of 10)
I may write a full review later, but I can just say this is the best sounding violin concertante SACDs I own - spacious and vivid, aided of course by the fabulously rhapsodic playing of Ulf Wallin which is perhaps as beautiful as is humanly possible.

The opening Adagio movement of the Second Concerto is almost unbearably poignant - like most people (I suspect) I did not know any of these works but am glad to get to know them from this wonderful SACD. The first movement (Allegro appassionato) of the Konzertstuck leads into a shorter Adagio which is equally passionate.

Post by aoqd22 October 5, 2015 (2 of 10)
What surprised me when I checked is that whilst the first violin concerto has been performed 43 times at the BBC Proms in London the second has only been performed 6 times the last being in 1919. As for the wonderful third concerto well it has never been performed!

Hopefully BIS will give us a recording of the third concerto at some point.

Post by akiralx October 5, 2015 (3 of 10)
aoqd22 said:

What surprised me when I checked is that whilst the first violin concerto has been performed 43 times at the BBC Proms in London the second has only been performed 6 times the last being in 1919. As for the wonderful third concerto well it has never been performed!

Hopefully BIS will give us a recording of the third concerto at some point.

Yes, plus the Scottish Fantasy, a work I really like. I hope they stick with Wallin!

Post by wehecht October 8, 2015 (4 of 10)
akiralx said:

Yes, plus the Scottish Fantasy, a work I really like. I hope they stick with Wallin!

As a personal preference I'd slightly prefer Gluzman. His Bruch 1 is incomparable, but Wallin is excellent on this wonderful disc, and I'd be happy with a Bruch 3 and SF from either.

Post by armenian October 8, 2015 (5 of 10)
When it comes to Scottish Fantasy there is only one performance that no one can match, Heifetz.

Vahe

Post by akiralx October 11, 2015 (6 of 10)
armenian said:

When it comes to Scottish Fantasy there is only one performance that no one can match, Heifetz.

That is a good recording, but it is slightly cut - and to be honest I prefer Tasmin Little's EMI performance which is wonderful.

Post by Castor October 12, 2015 (7 of 10)
You really should try this one.
Bruch & Tchaikovsky: Ning Feng

Post by hiredfox October 15, 2015 (8 of 10)
It seems de riguer on any thread soliciting views of a new recording for contributors to immediately nominate five other versions that people prefer... So, Just a mild rebuke chaps and chapesses, please stick to the script!

Having said that and no having yet heard this new Bruch disc I fully concur fully with castor on the merits of the Ning Feng disc

Post by breydon_music October 16, 2015 (9 of 10)
hiredfox said:



Having said that and no having yet heard this new Bruch disc

This is a marvellous disc. Bruch 2 is not Bruch 1 of course but in 50 years this makes the most persuasive case for it that I've ever heard. Wallin's tone is gorgeous and Kamu is a characterful accompanist beautifully recorded. I don't think anyone will be longing for Gluzman or Feng while they're listening to this. Another example of what BIS does best - buy!!!

Post by hiredfox October 21, 2015 (10 of 10)
breydon_music said:

This is a marvellous disc. Bruch 2 is not Bruch 1 of course but in 50 years this makes the most persuasive case for it that I've ever heard. Wallin's tone is gorgeous and Kamu is a characterful accompanist beautifully recorded. I don't think anyone will be longing for Gluzman or Feng while they're listening to this. Another example of what BIS does best - buy!!!

I bought a copy in Amsterdam yesterday so eagerly awaiting a chance to spin it this evening.

Closed