add to wish list | library


44 of 47 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

amazon.it
 

Discussion: Dvorak: Cello Concerto, Dumky Trio - Jean-Guihen Queyras

Posts: 52
Page: prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 next

Post by RWetmore October 25, 2010 (21 of 52)
Fugue said:

Is the SACD version clearly indicated as such? I saw one in a used store yesterday for only $9.95, but it was encased in a huge security package that made the cover hard to read.

Snatch this one before it's gone. I've been on the hunt for this disc for a really long time now. So far no luck finding it anywhere.

Post by flyingdutchman October 25, 2010 (22 of 52)
Polarius T said:

There's nothing on the front cover but all the usual symbols & statements are there at the bottom left corner of the back cover of the digipack.

Digipack...that's the key word. It's in digipack and the regular one isn't.

Post by Fugue October 25, 2010 (23 of 52)
Polarius T said:

There's nothing on the front cover but all the usual symbols & statements are there at the bottom left corner of the back cover of the digipack.

It didn't have any SACD or DSD symbols, so I guess it's the regular one. Darn!

Post by Paul Clark October 29, 2010 (24 of 52)
Fugue said:

It didn't have any SACD or DSD symbols, so I guess it's the regular one. Darn!

You'll have to pay the going rate for that one po' boy.

Post by big sur November 13, 2010 (25 of 52)
Like Sacred music?

I have like new Harmonia Mundi's Sacred Mvsic box (30 discs) of which I only played two of the discs with Rene Jacobs performing. Sacred Mvsic box retails for $70. I'll also include Telarc SACD Sampler discs 2/4/6 - all in exchange for SACD Dumky Trio/Queyras title.

Post by mwhite April 27, 2011 (26 of 52)
Great interpretation! full of intimate nuances and folk elements. Also love the Dumky especially the violinist Isabelle Faust,marvelous cd!

Post by canonical April 27, 2011 (27 of 52)
I recently managed to find this at a 'reasonable' price. I thought the Dumky is superb - both the sonics and performance ... a real treat. But I was not particularly enamoured with his Dvorak Cello Concerto, and have any number of alternative recordings which I much prefer. I think the best I have heard on SACD is Starker (I don't favour Piatigorsky's version on SACD), and perhapssssss my favourite on redbook is Rostropovich or Casals.

Having said so, the Dumky alone is certainly a gem of the SACD repertoire, and definitely worth buying this disc for alone, in my view.

Post by Russell April 27, 2011 (28 of 52)
So for those who've heard both the Queyras and Wispelwey/Fischer (Channel) in the Cello Concerto, which do you like more? Or are both worthy? (I've already got Piatigorsky, Starker, & Maisky on SACD.)

Russell

Post by wehecht April 27, 2011 (29 of 52)
Russell said:

So for those who've heard both the Queyras and Wispelwey/Fischer (Channel) in the Cello Concerto, which do you like more? Or are both worthy? (I've already got Piatigorsky, Starker, & Maisky on SACD.)

Russell

If I prefer Queyras it's only marginally. Both are fine performances that I'm happy to have, and from the standpoint of sound each is very good. Perhaps the greatest difference is that Wispelwey is partnered by the full size BFO while Queyras' recording features a much smaller orchestra (40 or so pieces), though the recording seems to minimize the difference. Obviously the couplings are also quite different, and that probably accounts for my preference. The Dumky is simply a better piece of music than the symphonic variations.

Bill

Post by Hitters April 27, 2011 (30 of 52)
wehecht said:

If I prefer Queyras it's only marginally. Both are fine performances that I'm happy to have, and from the standpoint of sound each is very good. Perhaps the greatest difference is that Wispelwey is partnered by the full size BFO while Queyras' recording features a much smaller orchestra (40 or so pieces), though the recording seems to minimize the difference. Obviously the couplings are also quite different, and that probably accounts for my preference. The Dumky is simply a better piece of music than the symphonic variations.

Bill

I do prefer the Queyras to the Wispelwey, by far. Of course it is a matter of taste, but I find Wispelwey's rendition of the concerto to be quite un-engaged and disappointing. Queyras', on the contrary, is amazing. The Dumky is a marvel, as well. Recording quality is top notch.

Page: prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 next

new post