add to wish list | library


20 of 21 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

amazon.ca
amazon.co.uk
amazon.com
amazon.de
 
amazon.fr
amazon.it
 
jpc

Discussion: Mahler: Symphony No. 5 - Netherlands PO/Haenchen

Posts: 7

Post by Clovis March 17, 2007 (1 of 7)
This recording, to me sounds very crisp, perhaps to sharp during loud passages. As for the preformance itself, I like it but am not overly excited. I've read that this particular disc is not a good example of SACD technoledgy. I am curious if Nott's preformace of the same work is any better?

Post by Sigfred March 17, 2007 (2 of 7)
You mean this Mahler: Symphony No. 5 - Netherlands PO/Haenchen one?

For each title in the sa-cd.net database there is a very nice feature for creating (or joining) a discussion about that particular title.

Post by Clovis March 17, 2007 (3 of 7)
Sigfred said:

You mean this Mahler: Symphony No. 5 - Netherlands PO/Haenchen one?

For each title in the sa-cd.net database there is a very nice feature for creating (or joining) a discussion about that particular title.

Thank you for the info, Sigfred; I didn't know that.

Post by Edvin March 18, 2007 (4 of 7)
Dear Clovis,

I think you should buy the version with Michael Tilson Thomas and his San Fransisco Symphony. The Jonathan Nott performance is rather low key and has as a special bonus the timpani player coming in a bar wrong in the finale. No great matter though. But as a whole the MTT version is the best on SACD, I think.
Thomas

Post by Windsurfer March 19, 2007 (5 of 7)
Clovis said:

This recording, to me sounds very crisp, perhaps to sharp during loud passages. As for the preformance itself, I like it but am not overly excited. I've read that this particular disc is not a good example of SACD technoledgy. I am curious if Nott's preformace of the same work is any better?

Soundwise I remember liking this a lot and the reviews here reflect that opinion. Think I might give it another listen today if I can make the time. I do have a slight preference for Nott despite its flaws. The woodwind playing and brass is very characterful there, as it is in the Nott Bruckner 3rd.

I guess, reading Edvin's comments, that my next purchase will include the MTT however.

I remember hearing Eschenbach (of all people) giving a performance with the Boston Symphony that had me on the edge of my seat and so I noticed were most of the musicians in the orchestra. Strange that he has done so many things in Philadelphia that seem so aberant.

Post by Luukas November 3, 2014 (6 of 7)
This is very good interpretation of Mahler's Fifth Symphony! It is a pity that PentaTone hasn't other symphonies on SACD. Any comments?

Post by Chris from Lafayette November 3, 2014 (7 of 7)
Luukas said:

This is very good interpretation of Mahler's Fifth Symphony! It is a pity that PentaTone hasn't other symphonies on SACD. Any comments?

I agree - the Haenchen/NPO performance IS a very good interpretation of Mahler's Fifth. (And I've owned over 80 different recordings of Mahler's Fifth at one time or another, although I've not heard some of the more recent SACD's of this work.) Haenchen's is kind of a dark horse among performances of this work. I've got lots of faves among Mahler 5 recordings, including the recent Chailly/LGO blu-ray video, but, for me, no one recording could be termed "the best" - I'm amazed at the quality and inspiration of so many performances.

(BTW, I also enjoy Haenchen's Ring Cycle on SACD - well, maybe "Siegfried" not so much!)

Closed