add to wish list | library


15 of 15 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

amazon.ca
amazon.co.uk
amazon.com
amazon.de
 
amazon.fr
amazon.it
 
 

Discussion: Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong: Ella and Louis

Posts: 13
Page: 1 2 next

Post by ramesh July 20, 2007 (1 of 13)
I already have this on the European/ US single layer release. This was issued in 2002. Armstrong's trumpet sounds rather shrill on the transfer, more so than on the CD.

The Verve Japan release was in 2004, and is a hybrid. Does anybody know whether this is a new remastering than the 2002 one, the way that Toshiba-EMI classical remasters are generally superior to the British remastering?

Post by wolfE July 21, 2007 (2 of 13)
ramesh said:

I already have this on the European/ US single layer release. This was issued in 2002. Armstrong's trumpet sounds rather shrill on the transfer, more so than on the CD.

The Verve Japan release was in 2004, and is a hybrid. Does anybody know whether this is a new remastering than the 2002 one, the way that Toshiba-EMI classical remasters are generally superior to the British remastering?

ramesh, the European version is mastered from an 96khz-24 bit copy, while the Japanese re-issue indeed is a new direct-to-DSD mastering using the original tapes. The sound is warm and analogue-like, don't miss it!! The whole Japanese Verve-series is done the same way, We get request (great!!)and others. Only the Getz/Gilberto is a bit strange. It sounds as if it is another mastering, the balance of the instruments and voices is different to the original version.

Post by DSD July 21, 2007 (3 of 13)
Question: I had the European/ US single layer SACD of Ella & Louis and was unhappy with the sound mostly because it was MONO. The description of the Japanese version here says Stereo, is it indeed Stereo? If so I might give it a try. Thanks in advance.

Post by wolfE July 22, 2007 (4 of 13)
DSD said:

Question: I had the European/ US single layer SACD of Ella & Louis and was unhappy with the sound mostly because it was MONO. The description of the Japanese version here says Stereo, is it indeed Stereo? If so I might give it a try. Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately the original recording was in Mono, so is the Japanese re-release.The information "Stereo" is an error, maybe wishful thinking? Nevertheless the sound of the Japanese version is a clear improvement compared to the European version, as I stated above.

Post by ramesh July 22, 2007 (5 of 13)
Thanks, Wolfe,
I'll get the Japanese release. The 2002 release says 'SACD stereo' too.

Post by The Seventh Taylor July 22, 2007 (6 of 13)
wolfE said:

Unfortunately the original recording was in Mono, so is the Japanese re-release.The information "Stereo" is an error, maybe wishful thinking?

I suppose this may be because the program is stored as a 2.0-channel track in the stereo area of the SACD -- not as a center-channel-only track in the multichannel area which might have been more natural but rather inconvenient for those with stereo-only setups. Just a wild guess.

Post by DSD July 22, 2007 (7 of 13)
wolfE said:

Unfortunately the original recording was in Mono, so is the Japanese re-release.The information "Stereo" is an error, maybe wishful thinking? Nevertheless the sound of the Japanese version is a clear improvement compared to the European version, as I stated above.

Thanks (;-)

Post by snakeskin_pjs July 23, 2007 (8 of 13)
Help! You've convinced me to get the import version of this disc, but now I'm really confused: there seem to be many different versions!

Here's a hybrid version:
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6971071&BAB=E

And here's a single-layer version:
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6971069&BAB=E

And another:
http://www.musicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=CVERVIMPSA7005



Which one should I get? Thanks in advance.

Post by Claude July 23, 2007 (9 of 13)
There are only the two discs listed on this site. The US single layer one and the newer japanese hybrid one.

The CD Universe listing you posted is for the japanese hybrid SACD, and the Musicdirect site seems to have the wrong picture (from a japanese CD reissue).

BTW, you posted the same CD Universe link twice.

If you order the hybrid SACD from a japanese site with regular airmail shipping (which amazon.co.jp is no longer offering), you can get it for less than $30.

Post by snakeskin_pjs July 23, 2007 (10 of 13)
Sorry about the link. I have edited my post so it should now be correct. Unless I am very much mistaken there is indeed a single-layer import version of this disc...although come to think of it, it does look like the American version, just with a japanese cardboard thingy on the side. But it's also more expensive than even the hybrid version. Here's the link:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6971069&BAB=E

I'm thinking the japanese hybrid is the one to get.

Page: 1 2 next

Closed