add to wish list | library


20 of 25 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

amazon.ca
amazon.co.uk
amazon.com
amazon.de
 
amazon.fr
amazon.it
 
jpc

Discussion: Mahler: Symphony No. 6 - Gergiev

Posts: 21
Page: 1 2 3 next

Post by Windsurfer March 28, 2008 (1 of 21)
Castor said:

It would be impossible for any single recording of this towering masterpiece ever to be considered definitive, or appeal to all tastes, but this searing performance, with the LSO in phenomenal form, should be heard by all who love Mahlerísí music.

Well *&@#! I guess I am going to get YET another Mahler 6th! The new Haitink CSO Resound is already on my wish list! Why is it that I cannot help myself?

Post by Polly Nomial March 28, 2008 (2 of 21)
Windsurfer said:

Why is it that I cannot help myself?

It sounds like the problem is that you do keep helping yourself!

Post by Castor March 29, 2008 (3 of 21)
Bruce
I did say "should be heard" not "should be bought":)
In any case, can one have too many Mahler Sixths?
(This is only a rhetorical question)
Graham

Post by Edvin April 11, 2008 (4 of 21)
This is a sensational performance. I intended to hear a few minutes only but was unable to turn it off.

Post by Windsurfer April 11, 2008 (5 of 21)
Edvin said:

This is a sensational performance. I intended to hear a few minutes only but was unable to turn it off.

I just received it in the mail and was about to go put it on .... but now I see I better wait because I have to go pick up my wife at the bus line in 45 minutes. Its a rainy day here. She would not like standing in the rain while I am glued to my Ekornes chair downstairs! Maybe she will listen to it with me when she gets home.

Post by Edvin April 12, 2008 (6 of 21)
And the new Haitink is sooooo boring.

Post by krisjan April 14, 2008 (7 of 21)
FWIW, David Hurwitz of the Classics Today site rated the Gergiev as 9/9 for performace and sound while giving the Haitink/CSO a 5/8. I generally track with Hurwitz's opinions so it looks like I may have to buy the Gergiev (despite having several 6ths already on SACD).

Post by Cilea April 14, 2008 (8 of 21)
krisjan said:

FWIW, David Hurwitz of the Classics Today site rated the Gergiev as 9/9 for performace and sound while giving the Haitink/CSO a 5/8. I generally track with Hurwitz's opinions so it looks like I may have to buy the Gergiev (despite having several 6ths already on SACD).

The Haitink/CSO was not reviewed by Hurwitz. And it is also listed as regular RBCD...

http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=11623

Post by Tootsie April 15, 2008 (9 of 21)
krisjan said:

FWIW, David Hurwitz of the Classics Today site rated the Gergiev as 9/9 for performace and sound while giving the Haitink/CSO a 5/8. I generally track with Hurwitz's opinions so it looks like I may have to buy the Gergiev (despite having several 6ths already on SACD).

The Gergiev has received here in France very praising reviews.
Despite trying to keep myself from buying another 6th, and collecting yet another complete mahler symphonies set (the Zinman cycle is beginning very well too), I guess I will give in and get my eighth Mahler 6th.

Post by Peter April 15, 2008 (10 of 21)
Tootsie said:

The Gergiev has received here in France very praising reviews.
Despite trying to keep myself from buying another 6th, and collecting yet another complete mahler symphonies set (the Zinman cycle is beginning very well too), I guess I will give in and get my eighth Mahler 6th.

....and why not.... Gergiev's is a very thought-provoking performance. I'm looking forward to the rest of the cycle!

Peter

Page: 1 2 3 next

Closed