add to wish list | library


40 of 42 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

amazon.ca
amazon.de
 
amazon.fr
 
jpc

Discussion: Ravel: Bolero - Boulez

Posts: 17
Page: 1 2 next

Post by Cicero May 26, 2008 (1 of 17)
From Al's 2004 review of the disc on this site:

"Has anyone else noticed that the channels are reversed on the Stereo SACD layer? For example, on Bolero, the constant drum playing should come from the left-rear, but on this disc it comes from the right-rear instead."

I am considering purchase of this disc as long as its SACD incarnation is still around. Could those who own a copy please let me know whether the channels are reversed on the SACD Stereo layer or not? On my RBCD copy, the constant drum playing in the Bolero does indeed come from the left-rear, as it should.

Thank you!

Post by Claude May 29, 2008 (2 of 17)
I have the disc and will check it before this weekend. My system is stereo-only.

What I can say generally on those early 90's DG recordings (using the "4D" process), is that the SACD stereo remixes sound much better than the initial CD releases, which often sound very strange (bloated bass, odd soundstage).

Post by Cicero May 31, 2008 (3 of 17)
Claude said:

I have the disc and will check it before this weekend. My system is stereo-only.

Thank you! Your help would be much appreciated.

Post by jdaniel May 31, 2008 (4 of 17)
Cicero said:

From Al's 2004 review of the disc on this site:

"Has anyone else noticed that the channels are reversed on the Stereo SACD layer? For example, on Bolero, the constant drum playing should come from the left-rear, but on this disc it comes from the right-rear instead."

I am considering purchase of this disc as long as its SACD incarnation is still around. Could those who own a copy please let me know whether the channels are reversed on the SACD Stereo layer or not? On my RBCD copy, the constant drum playing in the Bolero does indeed come from the left-rear, as it should.

Thank you!

How do you know whether they just moved the percussion for some reason?

Post by Cicero May 31, 2008 (5 of 17)
jdaniel said:

How do you know whether they just moved the percussion for some reason?

Moved the percussion ...? Sorry, I don't understand that. The left-rear is where you would expect the drum to be, at least in the traditional orchestral set-up normally employed in Berlin. However that may be, if the original RBCD has the drum playing on the left and the SACD Stereo remix has it playing on the right, something has gone wrong. Now, the location of the drum is one thing; another, more serious, is reversal of channels, of which the percussion issue may be a symptom.

Post by diw June 24, 2010 (6 of 17)
So I was thinking about purchasing this because it has both the Rapsodie and Alborada. Little leery of the DG provenance. How is the sound, really?

Post by Domimag June 24, 2010 (7 of 17)
The sound is terrific ! One of the best DG !

Post by Acastos April 6, 2013 (8 of 17)
I have both the RBCD and the 2-disc SACD of this recording. The original poster cited a review of the SACD by "Al", which claimed that the left and right channels were reversed on the Stereo SACD layer.

1. I have directly compared the RBCD and the Stereo SACD layer. Other than the greater refinement and resolution of the SACD, the soundstage of both is identical, and the snare drum that the original reviewer claims should come from the "left-rear" but instead comes from the "right-rear" in fact comes from the center. Incidentally, this recording is an ideal demonstration of the superiority of Stereo SACD to RBCD. Good though it is, the RBCD is hazy and electronic sounding, with etched highs and muffled lows. The SACD is ultra refined, smooth, and musical, with no recording artifacts.

2. The original reviewer, "Al", has complained about a number of SACDs reversing left and right channels. I think the probability that the fault lies in his equipment or ears is greater than the probability that these different recordings, mastered and produced by different labels, have simply made an elementary mastering error.

Front end: Esoteric X-05 SACD player.

Post by hiredfox April 6, 2013 (9 of 17)
Acastos said:

I have both the RBCD and the 2-disc SACD of this recording. The original poster cited a review of the SACD by "Al", which claimed that the left and right channels were reversed on the Stereo SACD layer.

1. I have directly compared the RBCD and the Stereo SACD layer. Other than the greater refinement and resolution of the SACD, the soundstage of both is identical, and the snare drum that the original reviewer claims should come from the "left-rear" but instead comes from the "right-rear" in fact comes from the center. Incidentally, this recording is an ideal demonstration of the superiority of Stereo SACD to RBCD. Good though it is, the RBCD is hazy and electronic sounding, with etched highs and muffled lows. The SACD is ultra refined, smooth, and musical, with no recording artifacts.

2. The original reviewer, "Al", has complained about a number of SACDs reversing left and right channels. I think the probability that the fault lies in his equipment or ears is greater than the probability that these different recordings, mastered and produced by different labels, have simply made an elementary mastering error.

Front end: Esoteric X-05 SACD player.

What PCM format was used for the original recording? I'm pretty sure it was digitally recorded. We have the RB but not the SA - way too expensive

Post by Polly Nomial April 6, 2013 (10 of 17)
According to the booklet, 24/44.1

Page: 1 2 next

Closed