Thread: Onkyo TX-SR707?

Posts: 20
Page: 1 2 next

Post by drunken_master June 18, 2010 (1 of 20)
I wanted to get a good surround receiver that did Direct DSD through an HDMI cable, I saw the Onkyo TX-SR707 does this and is pretty affordable ($499 right now on Amazon). I saw recommendation that the 807 may be a way to go as well, any thoughts?

I have an Oppo 980 (and will get the BD-83 soon) if that is important.

Thanks!

Post by Disbeliever June 19, 2010 (2 of 20)
drunken_master said:

I wanted to get a good surround receiver that did Direct DSD through an HDMI cable, I saw the Onkyo TX-SR707 does this and is pretty affordable ($499 right now on Amazon). I saw recommendation that the 807 may be a way to go as well, any thoughts?

I have an Oppo 980 (and will get the BD-83 soon) if that is important.

Thanks!

Very good for the money but runs very hot. However does not sound as good as Sony DA6400ES/ DA5400ES despite the latter converting to PCM. If you are going to buy an Oppo the Onkyo will be perfectly adequate. Sony's are best as a combo and are considerably more expensive.

Post by Paul Clark June 20, 2010 (3 of 20)
MODEL: Onkyo TX-SR707
DIGITAL DSD INPUT: [Supposed] Pure DSD Listening Mode:

DSD-CAPABLE DAC?: NO! (Burr-Brown PCM1690)
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/pcm1690.html

ē Thereís some false claims out there. But its DAC is non DSD and thatís that.
CURRENT CONCLUSION: 100% sure itís non pure or N/A

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1230824

You may want to consider a Onkyo TX-SR805 (Integra DTR-7.8)
http://cgi.ebay.com/INTEGRA-DTR-7-8-THX-Ultra2-7-1-Channel-Home-Theater_W0QQitemZ170470358706QQ

Post by Disbeliever June 21, 2010 (4 of 20)
Paul Clark said:

MODEL: Onkyo TX-SR707
DIGITAL DSD INPUT: [Supposed] Pure DSD Listening Mode:

DSD-CAPABLE DAC?: NO! (Burr-Brown PCM1690)
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/pcm1690.html

ē Thereís some false claims out there. But its DAC is non DSD and thatís that.
CURRENT CONCLUSION: 100% sure itís non pure or N/A

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1230824

You may want to consider a Onkyo TX-SR805 (Integra DTR-7.8)
http://cgi.ebay.com/INTEGRA-DTR-7-8-THX-Ultra2-7-1-Channel-Home-Theater_W0QQitemZ170470358706QQ

The previous Onkyo model 706 does have a DSD DAC for DSD direct to analogue in Pure Direct mode without converting to PCM this was confirmed to me by Onkyo UK.and I am suprised to learn from Paul Clark that this has been changed but does it really matter ?

Post by Fitzcaraldo215 June 21, 2010 (5 of 20)
Disbeliever said:

The previous Onkyo model 706 does have a DSD DAC for DSD direct to analogue in Pure Direct mode without converting to PCM this was confirmed to me by Onkyo UK.and I am suprised to learn from Paul Clark that this has been changed but does it really matter ?

Doubtful.

Post by Allen June 21, 2010 (6 of 20)
Disbeliever said:

Very good for the money but runs very hot. However does not sound as good as Sony DA6400ES/ DA5400ES despite the latter converting to PCM. If you are going to buy an Oppo the Onkyo will be perfectly adequate. Sony's are best as a combo and are considerably more expensive.

Does Sony have other offering? DA6400ES is so expensive.

I am actually looking for an all-in-one unit, bluray/dvd/sacd/cd combined, like their old DAV990 stuff.

Post by Disbeliever June 21, 2010 (7 of 20)
Allen said:

Does Sony have other offering? DA6400ES is so expensive.

I am actually looking for an all-in-one unit, bluray/dvd/sacd/cd combined, like their old DAV990 stuff.

DA6400ES is very cheap compared with the expensive High End .

Post by rosenkavalier817 June 28, 2010 (8 of 20)
I've been very happy with my 707. I have no idea if it does direct DSD, and I doubt it does. For the price, I don't really care. I'm happy with Audessy and DSD mode for most of my SACD listening.

Post by Fugue June 28, 2010 (9 of 20)
Disbeliever said:

DA6400ES is very cheap compared with the expensive High End .

No kidding! A m-ch Theta system could easily cost $14,000, and I'm sure there are systems out there that are far more expensive!

Post by Kal Rubinson June 28, 2010 (10 of 20)
Fugue said:

No kidding! A m-ch Theta system could easily cost $14,000, and I'm sure there are systems out there that are far more expensive!

And they do not even have HDMI yet. ;-)

OTOH, I just returned, following review, a $30K Krell processor and will be taking delivery of a new $26k Meridian processor soon. There's no limit to what you can spend, if you choose to.

Page: 1 2 next

Closed