Thread: Threats to Own Label brands?

Posts: 13
Page: 1 2 next

Post by hiredfox November 18, 2010 (1 of 13)
The Arts Council of Great Britain which supports most of the non-BBC supported private orchestras in the UK is to get its central grant slashed by 30% as a result of the cutbacks announced by Mr Osborne.

'Gramophone' opines that this will have a huge impact on UK orchestras - who will need to make their own cutbacks to keep the books balanced - and the kind of activity that may go is own label recordings.

I hope not, indeed I pray not because whilst this may only affect LSO Live here, tie-ins to RCO Live and Mariinsky and even CSO Resound may invoke knock-o effcets so that they suffer as well.

If ever there was a time for us to stand firm together this may be it, supporting those labels as much as we can by purchasing their discs, not bitching about nuances of performance or recording and lobbying wherever we can. It may be just enough to help persuade these orchestras to plough on in support of their loyal followings who appreciate their efforts to bring world class classical music to their public in the highest resolution sound possible .

The last thing we want is for them to grab the ejector seat handle and parachute into the arms of the waiting RBCD hoards, who no doubt are still smarting at the loss of these franchises in the first place.

Post by rammiepie November 18, 2010 (2 of 13)
It seems that in any economic downturn the Arts are the first to suffer budgetary restraints.

I have and will continue to purchase SACDs from the aforementioned orchestras/labels.

At this juncture, DSD multi~channel recordings at very reasonable prices are hard to come by and count me it as an avid supporter........

Post by canonical November 18, 2010 (3 of 13)
hiredfox said:

If ever there was a time for us to stand firm together this may be it, supporting those labels as much as we can by purchasing their discs, not bitching about nuances of performance or recording and lobbying wherever we can. It may be just enough to help persuade these orchestras to plough on in support of their loyal followings who appreciate their efforts to bring world class classical music to their public in the highest resolution sound possible .

Well ... there is an obvious self-referential inconsistency between your first sentence and your second sentence.

As for labels 'ploughing on' and doing us favours .... well frankly, I don't think anyone should produce RBCDs or SACDs or anything else if it doesn't pay them to or if they don't want to. I don't want any favours.

My rules are pretty simple:

1. CDs: I don't buy ANY full-price CDs anymore. Zero. If an orchestra wants to drop SACD - adios babies! Go try sell it to the mugs who still buy full-price CD. Not so many of those left. And not many people paying for album downloads either. Ciaoooooooooooo...

2.SACDs: I'll pay full-price or more for a top performer on hi-rez SACD. If you want my mullah, produce the goods and do it properly. Proper Superjewel box. Hi-rez. If you don't - ta ta ...

There's plenty of interesting stuff I'm still discovering on SACD, and plenty of new labels coming along all the time.

Post by Claude November 19, 2010 (4 of 13)
hiredfox said:

'Gramophone' opines that this will have a huge impact on UK orchestras - who will need to make their own cutbacks to keep the books balanced - and the kind of activity that may go is own label recordings.

Does that mean they lose money with their CD/SACD releases?

Post by LSO Live November 19, 2010 (5 of 13)
Will try to write a longer response to this thread soon. In the meantime, any Arts Council cuts will have no direct effect on LSO Live. The label does not receive any funding from the Arts Council (or any other body or sponsor). We make recordings because we want as many people as possible to hear the music that we perform Ė you canít do that with concerts alone.

Post by padraig November 19, 2010 (6 of 13)
LSO Live said:

Will try to write a longer response to this thread soon. In the meantime, any Arts Council cuts will have no direct effect on LSO Live. The label does not receive any funding from the Arts Council (or any other body or sponsor). We make recordings because we want as many people as possible to hear the music that we perform Ė you canít do that with concerts alone.

Great! Really good to hear. As long as you keep producing good value SACDs I'll keep buying them. It's also good that an outstanding British orchestra decided to produce SACDs on it's own label. Pity the Halle doesn't follow your example!

Post by rammiepie November 19, 2010 (7 of 13)
You see, Hirefox, Much Ado About Nothing!

The LSO needs no cup passing.

As far as Canonical not purchasing SACDs unless accompanied by a Super Jewel Case, what century are you living in. Even SONY abandoned the Super Jewel Case years ago. It seems that non~standard packaging has become the norm even for occasional DVD~As and even Blu~rays have their own indistinct packaging on occasion.

And anyone paying full price for a RBCD must not have an Amazon account.

Post by hiredfox November 19, 2010 (8 of 13)
Claude said:

Does that mean they lose money with their CD/SACD releases?

We are grateful to Chaz for his very prompt reassurance. It is pleasing that he is monitoring this board as our statements of support will not have gone unheard; hopefully they will give him added encouragement.

Thanks Chaz

Post by hiredfox November 19, 2010 (9 of 13)
PS (This is the sucking up bit)

I have every LSO Live disc bar two, SACDs and the earlier RBCD only discs (but I didn't have a SACD player in those days). The new Ravel arrived today!

Post by hiredfox November 19, 2010 (10 of 13)
rammiepie said:

You see, Hirefox, Much Ado About Nothing!

Not quite rammie, many will be more than a little relieved to read Chaz's post.

Page: 1 2 next

Closed