add to wish list | library


3 of 4 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

CDJapan

Discussion: Stravinsky: Le Sacre du Printemps, L'Oiseau de Feu, Jeu de cartes - Abbado, LSO

Posts: 34
Page: 1 2 3 4 next

Post by akiralx December 15, 2012 (1 of 34)
This is very good - excellent performances and impactful recordings which were famous in their day.

Also unusually for these Universal reissues there are two albums on on SACD so the playing time is just under 80mins.

Post by wehecht December 15, 2012 (2 of 34)
Eighty minutes, wow, well that certainly makes it a great bargain at only $66. Here in the US one could spend about $10 more and acquire: Stravinsky: Apollon musagète, Pulcinella Suite - Chamber Orchestra of Europe, and Stravinsky: Pulcinella - Chicago Symphony Orchestra, and Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring, Petrushka - Litton, and Stravinsky: The Firebird - Litton, and Stravinsky - Paavo Järvi, all fine performances in excellent multichannel sound. The continued fascination in some quarters with exhorbitantly priced reissues at the expense of supporting those labels continuing to issue new recordings simply astounds me.

Post by Iain December 15, 2012 (3 of 34)
wehecht said:

............ The continued fascination in some quarters with exhorbitantly priced reissues at the expense of supporting those labels continuing to issue new recordings simply astounds me.

+1
+2
+3.......etc.!!

Post by akiralx December 15, 2012 (4 of 34)
wehecht said:

Eighty minutes, wow, well that certainly makes it a great bargain at only $66. Here in the US one could spend about $10 more and acquire: Stravinsky: Apollon musagète, Pulcinella Suite - Chamber Orchestra of Europe, and Stravinsky: Pulcinella - Chicago Symphony Orchestra, and Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring, Petrushka - Litton, and Stravinsky: The Firebird - Litton, and Stravinsky - Paavo Järvi, all fine performances in excellent multichannel sound.

No need to pay that price - although we don't all live in the US either. Here in Aus the price of this SACD is not much more than regular SACDs in stores, so they're not so much of a luxury item.

In fact I do have two of the modern recordings you mention, and like them a lot, though I think Abbado and the 1970s LSO have the edge.

Post by RWetmore December 16, 2012 (5 of 34)
I would like to hear this. Early Abbado/LSO always seems to be a winning combination.

Post by pgmdir December 16, 2012 (6 of 34)
RWetmore said:

I would like to hear this. Early Abbado/LSO always seems to be a winning combination.

I have these recordings along with other Stravinsky on a really fine twofer RBCD set from DG. I have not heard the SACD, but I find these performances to be quite good. While I have stacks of others, if these were the only recordings I had of these works, I'd not feel cheated. I personally would not upgrade, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these performances.

Post by Vaan December 16, 2012 (7 of 34)
I have this on the RBCD twofer as well as the SHM-RBCD from Japan. No difference in sound at all. The SACD is not worth the money, even though this is a great disc.

Post by samayoeruorandajin December 16, 2012 (8 of 34)
Vaan said:

I have this on the RBCD twofer as well as the SHM-RBCD from Japan. No difference in sound at all. The SACD is not worth the money, even though this is a great disc.

The SHM-RBCD or RBCD is not SACD, so how can you comment on what the SACD would sound like?

Post by Claude December 16, 2012 (9 of 34)
As usual, the repertoire selection of japanese audiophile reissues is all about the cult factor: famous label + famous conductor + popular work.

But those 70's Deutsche Grammophon recordings sound decent at best. With so many good Sacre already available on SACD, why bother?

At least they put some bonus material on the disc, which is unusual for a japanese reissue.

Post by Vaan December 16, 2012 (10 of 34)
samayoeruorandajin said:

The SHM-RBCD or RBCD is not SACD, so how can you comment on what the SACD would sound like?

Where did I comment on the sound on this SACD? Can´t you read? I said it wasn´t worth the money as no SACD is worth that amount.

Page: 1 2 3 4 next

Closed