add to wish list | library


5 of 5 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

 

Discussion: Fartein Valen string quartets

Posts: 17
Page: 1 2 next

Post by Beagle February 3, 2013 (1 of 17)
Hah! I addressed my prayers to Bissie, but here they are, answered by Lindberg Lyd.

I'm with Glenn Gould on this one: "For the first time in many years I have found a looming personality in the 20th century's music". Far too many people wrote far too much music in the 20th century, so it is tempting to write it all off -- and thus miss some very interesting music which speaks to us 20th-century folk in a language we recognise as our own*. With Valen, Egge et al., Norway proves itself to be more than hardanger fiddle and nickelharpa; those indigenous traditions perhaps form a 'northern bohemia' ready to inject fresh blood into Paris and Wien.
_____________
* Akin to early Schönberg, i.e. before tone-rows.

Post by ramesh February 3, 2013 (2 of 17)
With the name 'Fartein,' 'ready to inject fresh blood' is a shrewd choice of metaphor :-)

Post by Iain February 4, 2013 (3 of 17)
Beagle said:

Hah! I addressed my prayers to Bissie, but here they are, answered by Lindberg Lyd.

I'm with Glenn Gould on this one: "For the first time in many years I have found a looming personality in the 20th century's music". Far too many people wrote far too much music in the 20th century, so it is tempting to write it all off -- and thus miss some very interesting music which speaks to us 20th-century folk in a language we recognise as our own*. With Valen, Egge et al., Norway proves itself to be more than hardanger fiddle and nickelharpa; those indigenous traditions perhaps form a 'northern bohemia' ready to inject fresh blood into Paris and Wien.
_____________
* Akin to early Schönberg, i.e. before tone-rows.

Thanks for the information.

Wonder if my Amazon will stock this soon?

Post by Beagle February 4, 2013 (4 of 17)
ramesh said:
With the name 'Fartein'...

I suspect that the name is related to the Norwegian word for 'to go, to travel' and might be losely translated as 'Traveller'.

Post by hiredfox February 5, 2013 (5 of 17)
Beagle said:

Far too many people wrote far too much music in the 20th century, so it is tempting to write it all off --

Probably that is true of the 19th C as well but with the inestimable advantage that people were not so adept nor had the means or mentality to keep good records in those days so much of it was lost for ever.

The 21st C may be the worst of nightmares with not one jot or tittle ever being erased from these infernal typing machines

Post by Lute June 29, 2013 (6 of 17)
Beagle said:

I suspect that the name is related to the Norwegian word for 'to go, to travel' and might be losely translated as 'Traveller'.

Well.. These quartets finally "traveled" all the way to this side of the planet.

Brilliant!! Thanks for bringing this release up for discussion!!

Post by Vaan June 29, 2013 (7 of 17)
And the excellent Piano Trio is here: Hvoslef, Valen, Egge - Piano Trios
I warmly recommend the Lindberg Lyd release.

Post by Lute June 29, 2013 (8 of 17)
Vaan said:

And the excellent Piano Trio is here: Hvoslef, Valen, Egge - Piano Trios
I warmly recommend the Lindberg Lyd release.

Thanks!! I'll be looking forward to a visit by that traveller next.

Post by nucaleena June 30, 2013 (9 of 17)
Would anyone who's posted on this thread care to describe the music?

Post by Beagle June 30, 2013 (10 of 17)
nucaleena said:
Would anyone who's posted on this thread care to describe the music?

In general terms: "early 20th century, but grounded in earlier traditions".

Quoth the Wiki:
"In 1909 he moved to Berlin to study composition at the Music Academy with Max Bruch who subsequently retired. While in Berlin, he worked on exercises in both tonal and atonal counterpoint and began to develop a polyphony similar to Bach's, but based on motivic working and dissonance rather than harmonic progression.... The counterpoint has similarities to that of J.S. Bach and Arnold Schoenberg, though evidence reveals that they were developed independently. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartein_Valen

If mere mention of Schönberg sends you packing, then Klaus Egge's your man.

Page: 1 2 next

Closed