add to wish list | library


5 of 5 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

 

Discussion: Goossens: Orchestral Works Vol. 2 - Sir Andrew Davis

Posts: 21
Page: 1 2 3 next

Post by Jonalogic March 1, 2013 (1 of 21)
Sounds like another knockout Chandos. They really are on hot form at the moment. But Castor reminds us in his review that this disc continues a sequence started by the departed and much-lamented Richard Hickox.

This makes me recall his fine but tragically unfinished Vaughan Williams symphonic cycle. One wonders if anyone can step in and finish this for Chandos with symphonies number 7 and 9? Andrew Davis would, again, appear the logical candidate.

And are we ever going to get a continuation of Chandos's terrific Holst orchestral cycle, I wonder?

Yes, I know, I'm just greedy...

Post by samayoeruorandajin March 1, 2013 (2 of 21)
Jonalogic said:

Sounds like another knockout Chandos. They really are on hot form at the moment. But Castor reminds us in his review that this disc continues a sequence started by the departed and much-lamented Richard Hickox.

This makes me recall his fine but tragically unfinished Vaughan Williams symphonic cycle. One wonders if anyone can step in and finish this for Chandos with symphonies number 7 and 9? Andrew Davis would, again, appear the logical candidate.

And are we ever going to get a continuation of Chandos's terrific Holst orchestral cycle, I wonder?

Yes, I know, I'm just greedy...

How much more of Holst does Chandos have yet to record to complete it? I haven't kept track.

Post by dcramer March 1, 2013 (3 of 21)
Jonalogic said:

Sounds like another knockout Chandos. They really are on hot form at the moment. But Castor reminds us in his review that this disc continues a sequence started by the departed and much-lamented Richard Hickox.

This makes me recall his fine but tragically unfinished Vaughan Williams symphonic cycle. One wonders if anyone can step in and finish this for Chandos with symphonies number 7 and 9? Andrew Davis would, again, appear the logical candidate.

And are we ever going to get a continuation of Chandos's terrific Holst orchestral cycle, I wonder?

Yes, I know, I'm just greedy...

Yes, Chandos has really been stepping up to the plate and delivering - I too would look forward to a completion of the VW symphonies and the Holst cycle; the two releases to date have been more than satisfying although the performance of the Planets would not be my first choice (or second). Actually, I would love to see a continued survey of English composers a la Lyrita as it seems we will never see their catalogue released in hi rez. It's good to see you posting here again by the way.

Post by Jonalogic March 1, 2013 (4 of 21)
dcramer said:

Yes, Chandos ha really been stepping up to the plate and delivering - I too would look forward to a completion of the VW symphonies and the Holst cycle; the two releases to date have been more than satisfying although the performance of the Planets would not be my first choice (or second). Actually, I would love to see a continued survey of English composers a la Lyrita as it seems we will never see their catalogue released in hi rez. It's good to see you posting here again by the way.

Many thanks! It's good to be back - until my next sulky fit or stint overseas.

Yes, Chandos really are the logical successors to Lyrita. It's so sad that none of the Lyritas ever made it from vinyl onto hires digits. Just think what the great Arnold dances disc would have sounded like...

Checking missing key British repertoire, an Andrew Davis Enigma from them would be great, plus the Pomp and Circumstances, the Britten concertos, any Walton...

Yep, I'm just being bloody greedy again. But one can dream.

Post by Jonalogic March 1, 2013 (5 of 21)
samayoeruorandajin said:

How much more of Holst does Chandos have yet to record to complete it? I haven't kept track.

Er... good question. Sticking to orchestral only (that's what the series says) - try St Paul's Suite, Egdon Heath, Brook Green Suite, Somerset Rhapsody, Hammersmith, Indra, Fugal Overture. That's enough for starters!

That's ignoring his choral repertoire, of course. The Rig Veda Hymns would sure be nice.

Post by samayoeruorandajin March 1, 2013 (6 of 21)
Jonalogic said:

Er... good question. Sticking to orchestral only (that's what the series says) - try St Paul's Suite, Egdon Heath, Brook Green Suite, Somerset Rhapsody, Hammersmith, Indra, Fugal Overture. That's enough for starters!

That's ignoring his choral repertoire, of course. The Rig Veda Hymns would sure be nice.

That is a lot to finish. I, for one, thought there was more, but wasn't sure.

Post by Jonalogic March 29, 2013 (7 of 21)
Hmmm- finally got around to listening to this.

Regretfully, I must say this music is really not my bag; it all seems rather shallow and lightweight, with no great depth or memorability. Equating him to Walton IMO seems a bit ... hyperbolic.

The sound, although very good, does not reach the stellar standards of some of the UK-sourced Chandoses (Chandi?) I've been listening to lately - such as the stellar Lutoslawski Vol 4.

Still, I'd much rather keep sampling new music, even if - as here - it disappoints. That's just the name of the game!

Post by diw March 30, 2013 (8 of 21)
Jonalogic said:


Checking missing key British repertoire, an Andrew Davis Enigma from them would be great, plus the Pomp and Circumstances, the Britten concertos, any Walton...

They are actually releasing a Britten concerto disc shortly, but not on SACD. Along with the Elgar Cello Concerto they released on RBCD, this is another missed opportunity. I don't really get how they make the decision to release some discs as SACDs or RBCDs. I believe it has to do with which recordings are miked for MC release, but I don't understand why some of a given series are recorded that way and some are not. I do hope they will eventually get to RVW Symphonies 7 & 9 on SACD

Post by Jonalogic March 31, 2013 (9 of 21)
diw said:

They are actually releasing a Britten concerto disc shortly, but not on SACD. Along with the Elgar Cello Concerto they released on RBCD, this is another missed opportunity. I don't really get how they make the decision to release some discs as SACDs or RBCDs. I believe it has to do with which recordings are miked for MC release, but I don't understand why some of a given series are recorded that way and some are not. I do hope they will eventually get to RVW Symphonies 7 & 9 on SACD

Yes, thanks- the Gardner/Little/Shelley version. I popped a few million neurons when I saw that! Especially as Chandos was always the best chance of ever seeing these fine concertos on SACD.

I am, likewise, puzzled by their inconsistency and by their continuing release of highly desirable repertoire like this, totally absent from SACD, in RBCD only. All I can say is GRRRR!

PS Ditto for the RVW, of course.

Post by hiredfox April 3, 2013 (10 of 21)
Jonalogic said:

Hmmm- finally got around to listening to this.

Regretfully, I must say this music is really not my bag; it all seems rather shallow and lightweight, with no great depth or memorability. Equating him to Walton IMO seems a bit ... hyperbolic.

The sound, although very good, does not reach the stellar standards of some of the UK-sourced Chandoses (Chandi?) I've been listening to lately - such as the stellar Lutoslawski Vol 4.

Still, I'd much rather keep sampling new music, even if - as here - it disappoints. That's just the name of the game!

Thank you for that insight Jon, it's on my wish list but will likely slip off the bottom now.

On the issue of choice of repertory, it seems that Ralph Couzens and Co are unwilling to face-up the dialogue on here which is a pity. Nor will they respond on the DSD demise which seems to have been written out of their booklets, replaced by a nice little fairy tale about the merits of 96/24 PCM as a higher resolution format. If they believe that they must believe in fairy dust!

Page: 1 2 3 next

Closed