add to wish list | library


8 of 9 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

Support this site by purchasing from these vendors using the links provided below. As an Amazon Associate SA-CD.net earns from qualifying purchases.
 
amazon.ca
amazon.co.uk
 
amazon.de
 
amazon.fr
amazon.it
 
 

Discussion: Wagner: Der Ring des Nibelungen - Solti

Posts: 8

Post by Jonalogic April 10, 2014 (1 of 8)
OK, just who submitted this? They obviously didn't look very closely.

This one looks like a total pig's breakfast. The music appears to be on 17 RBCDs. And there is one BR-A at the stunning res of 24/48. Why waste our time?

A missed opportunity, as some of the 24/96 remasterings of Golden Age Deccas have been rather good. Like the Britten War Requiem.

But this is yet another CD re-re-release of the classic Ring.

Post by Claude April 10, 2014 (2 of 8)
AFAIK, the last A/D transfer has been done at 24/48 before the tapes became unusable, so that's the highest resolution you will ever get.

I agree that they should offer the Blu-ray seperately as well.

Here's more info about it: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Wagner-Der-Ring-des-Nibelungen-Georg-Solti-Blu-ray/56588/#Review

Post by Jonalogic April 10, 2014 (3 of 8)
Claude said:

AFAIK, the last A/D transfer has been done at 24/48 before the tapes became unusable, so that's the highest resolution you will ever get.

I agree that they should offer the Blu-ray seperately as well.

Actually, your reference states:

'Decca did indeed try to go back to the original masters to "start from scratch" for this commemorative project, only to discover that they had degraded too far to be used. Luckily several generations of submasters had been created in the many decades since the original recordings, and it was quickly ascertained that the 1997 remastering (done by one of Culshaw's assistants on the original recordings) would make a suitable new starting place for this latest version.

Interesting. So I wonder what Esoteric did when producing their SACD set...?

Wagner: Der Ring Des Nibelungen - Solti

Post by Claude April 10, 2014 (4 of 8)
Esoteric has not seen the original tapes for any of their SACD reissues. They use PCM copies provided by the original label.

Post by Jonalogic April 10, 2014 (5 of 8)
Claude said:

Esoteric has not seen the original tapes for any of their SACD reissues. They use PCM copies provided by the original label.

Yes, I know that. 24/96 copies. My original question was rhetorical.

And, yes, why not release the whole thing on 24/48 if that's really the best they could find - which I doubt.

Post by lennyw April 10, 2014 (6 of 8)
Jonalogic said:

Yes, I know that. 24/96 copies. My original question was rhetorical.

And, yes, why not release the whole thing on 24/48 if that's really the best they could find - which I doubt.

All you need to know is here:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/recording-january-2013-wagner-ider-ring-des-nibelungeni

The Blu Ray sounds fantastic by the way (ripped to FLAC).

Post by Jonalogic April 10, 2014 (7 of 8)
lennyw said:

All you need to know is here:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/recording-january-2013-wagner-ider-ring-des-nibelungeni

The Blu Ray sounds fantastic by the way (ripped to FLAC).

Interesting. The BluRay contains the whole stereo cycle - all 18 or so hours of it?

That's a slightly different kettle of fish, then.

Thanks.

Post by sylvian April 10, 2014 (8 of 8)
with 35 megs per minute it is possibe to fit in onelayered BD-a disc (25gigs) of that resolution.

Closed