Thread: New advertiser: primephonic

Posts: 34
Page: prev 1 2 3 4 next

Post by Chris November 3, 2014 (11 of 34)
Not only are they selling pcm masters as DSD files they are also charging more for the DSD stereo version of Tristan and Isolde, at a whooping 58.50 than the DSD surround version!
Is this another prematurely launched site from Pentatone?

What is the logic behind selling pcm masters as DSD files priced higher as DSD stereo than both the stereo and mch master files as flac?

Post by Fugue November 3, 2014 (12 of 34)
Here's a crazy suggestion: How about finding a sponsor that ACTUALLY MAKES SACDs? SACDs are, after all, the main point of this site. Or, will it soon be renamed DOWNLOAD.NET?

Post by Euell Neverno November 3, 2014 (13 of 34)
Fugue said:

Here's a crazy suggestion: How about finding a sponsor that ACTUALLY MAKES SACDs? SACDs are, after all, the main point of this site. Or, will it soon be renamed DOWNLOAD.NET?

+1

Post by Chris from Lafayette November 3, 2014 (14 of 34)
Fugue said:

. . . SACDs are, after all, the main point of this site. Or, will it soon be renamed DOWNLOAD.NET?

"DOWNLOAD.NET" - has a nice ring to it.

Count me in! ;-)

Post by Fitzcaraldo215 November 3, 2014 (15 of 34)
Fugue said:

Here's a crazy suggestion: How about finding a sponsor that ACTUALLY MAKES SACDs? SACDs are, after all, the main point of this site. Or, will it soon be renamed DOWNLOAD.NET?

The times they are a changin'. Like many things in life and powered by internet, still in relative adolescence, there is ever increasing diversity. The simple days of one format, LP, CD, SACD, will never return. Hats off to Zeus for understanding this and getting this site to expand its horizons. SACD's are still here and still dominating the hi rez music market, but we must also look to the future.

Post by bmoura November 3, 2014 (16 of 34)
Chris said:

Not only are they selling pcm masters as DSD files they are also charging more for the DSD stereo version of Tristan and Isolde, at a whooping 58.50 than the DSD surround version!
Is this another prematurely launched site from Pentatone?

What is the logic behind selling pcm masters as DSD files priced higher as DSD stereo than both the stereo and mch master files as flac?

Which albums on their web site are PCM Masters being sold as DSD files?

Post by gumby November 3, 2014 (17 of 34)
gumby said:

The other interesting thing to note is that it appears you will be able to get the music in whatever file format you want, regardless of how it was recorded. You can get Pentatone in FLAC and RCO in DSD (I know some RCO are apparently DSD recordings...but many are not according to SACD-net and several of those are available on primephonic as DSD.)

This statement is not correct. Their website may be a work in progress. I visited the website again this evening and found that the selection of the file quality on the main page does not appearing to working very well. If you select FLAC surround and then pick one of the albums showing you get taken to a page where you can order the album and the few that I tried were only available in FLAC Stereo, not surround. It does appear that the Pentatone titles are available in either FLAC or DSD.

Post by gumby November 3, 2014 (18 of 34)
bmoura said:

Which albums on their web site are PCM Masters being sold as DSD files?

It initially seemed to me that this might be true of the RCO Live albums, but per my post above, I think there may be an issue with how the File Quality selector is working. However, if does turn out to be true it would be no different that buying a SACD that is a PCM recording, which appears to be the case for a fair number of RCO Live albums based on the recording information contained here on SA-CD.net.

Post by Chris November 3, 2014 (19 of 34)
bmoura said:

Which albums on their web site are PCM Masters being sold as DSD files?

The Wagner operas and at least two more from Pentatone which I have been told after alerting them,will be removed in their DSD form from the site asap.
The same thing initially happened on the "mother site" when it was launched.

Post by Chris November 3, 2014 (20 of 34)
Chris from Lafayette said:

"DOWNLOAD.NET" - has a nice ring to it.

Count me in! ;-)

Me too.

Page: prev 1 2 3 4 next

Closed