add to wish list | library


23 of 23 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

Support this site by purchasing from these vendors using the links provided below. As an Amazon Associate SA-CD.net earns from qualifying purchases.
 
amazon.ca
 
 
 
 
amazon.fr
 
 
jpc

Discussion: Puccini: Tosca - Sir Colin Davis

Posts: 22
Page: 1 2 3 next

Post by terence September 8, 2006 (1 of 22)
anybody know the release date for this, or even have it yet?

i think pentatone have it down for august on their website, but i can't source it at present.

Post by seth September 8, 2006 (2 of 22)
terence said:

anybody know the release date for this, or even have it yet?

i think pentatone have it down for august on their website, but i can't source it at present.

HMV JP lists October.

Post by pentaman September 8, 2006 (3 of 22)
terence said:

anybody know the release date for this, or even have it yet?

i think pentatone have it down for august on their website, but i can't source it at present.

The Tosca is available from the PentaTone website now. Most of our distributors in Europe will release in October. Release in the USA (via Naxos) is foreseen for November.

Best,Pentaman

Post by rosenkavalier817 September 8, 2006 (4 of 22)
pentaman said:

The Tosca is available from the PentaTone website now. Most of our distributors in Europe will release in October. Release in the USA (via Naxos) is foreseen for November.

Best,Pentaman

Thanks for the info Pentaman. In USD, it would be about $55 total from the website. Decisions, decisions....

BTW, any more quad operas coming? I'm so looking forward to this recording!

Post by sgb September 12, 2006 (5 of 22)
I couldn't find voting buttons for Castor's excellent review, but having enjoyed this recording since its release in the seventies, this will be one that I'll be looking to buy when it's released in the USA. Seeing as the capable team at Pentatone is responsible for this reissue, the potential is certainly there for it to rival the sound of the original Philips records.

Castor is correct in his assessment of Carreras' apparent talent here, but I confess that for thirty-some years, I've wished they had chosen someone else instead of Caballé.

Post by Edvin September 12, 2006 (6 of 22)
There are no voting buttons when the review is by a site reviewer.
Interesting that PentaTone chose to remove the sound effects.

Post by terence September 12, 2006 (7 of 22)
not quite sure what castor, in his excellent review, means by the following?

"This recording represents a departure from Pentatone’s usual RQR series in that the original 8-channel tapes have been used to produce, for the first time, a multi-channel mix".

Post by Polly Nomial September 12, 2006 (8 of 22)
terence said:

not quite sure what castor, in his excellent review, means by the following?

"This recording represents a departure from Pentatone’s usual RQR series in that the original 8-channel tapes have been used to produce, for the first time, a multi-channel mix".

Maybe it's a 5.0 release?

Post by Claude September 12, 2006 (9 of 22)
Maybe it wasn't released on quadro LP, and this is a first multichannel release.

Post by sgb September 12, 2006 (10 of 22)
Polly Nomial said:

Maybe it's a 5.0 release?

That wouldn't explain the removal of the sound effects (which, IMHO added much to the enjoyment of this set on vinyl). Perhaps these sound effects would have interfered with the creation of a plausible MC recording by the way they were originally taped. If these have been removed from the stereo segment as well, then, I suppose, I'll just keep on playing the records and refrain from a new expenditure.

Page: 1 2 3 next

Closed