add to wish list | library


27 of 29 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

Support this site by purchasing from these vendors using the links provided below. As an Amazon Associate SA-CD.net earns from qualifying purchases.
 
amazon.ca
amazon.co.uk
amazon.com
amazon.de
 
amazon.fr
amazon.it
 
jpc

Discussion: Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No. 3, Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini - Matsuev

Posts: 52
Page: prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 next

Post by Don_Angelo June 19, 2013 (31 of 52)
andrei_nz said:

Three solutions come to mind:
(1) You have been listening to concertos 1&4 rather than 2&3. 1&4: An hour of life I will never get back.
(2) Crap versions. Abbado and Argherich (spelling?)for example are sublime.
(3) Make sure you put the silver shiny discs in the tray. They sound terrible when the stylus hits them.

(1) I used to think exactly the same, until I discovered Michelangeli's marvelous studio recording for EMI, which will be remastered soon by Praga hopefully. The 4th is way more difficult to approach than the 2nd and 3rd.
For the 1st Byron Janis was the cure, although I must confess, I listen to it very rarely.
(2) I cannot agree with that. Peter Rösel and Sanderling is a very good performance of the 3rd if you seek for the ossia. Van Cliburn/Kondrashin live at the Tchaikovsky's contest (not the RCA Studio remake) would be a good alternative. Plenty of choice for the usual cadenza, for instance Janis/Dorati again.

Post by Claude June 19, 2013 (32 of 52)
Don_Angelo said:

(1) I used to think exactly the same, until I discovered Michelangeli's marvelous studio recording for EMI, which will be remastered soon by Praga hopefully.

From what source material will they remaster it?

Post by Don_Angelo June 19, 2013 (33 of 52)
I don't know, I asked Praga Digitals for informations about the content of the ABM II release. In the ABM I they included the Ravel's Piano Concerto from EMI which was coupled with the 4th from Rachmaninov. They replied it was scheduled for either ABM II or ABM III, but it seems safe to assume the source for this will be the same as the Ravel recording.

Post by Polarius T April 12, 2014 (34 of 52)
Ethically minded prospective buyers may like to be aware of the following before making their purchase decisions: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/peter-g-tatchell/valery-gergiev-russia-ukraine-_b_5130593.html?just_reloaded=1&utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

While Gergiev has been the most vocal of all Russian artists supporting Putin's repressive politics at home and military-imperialist projects abroad, others publicly stating their support for his invasion and annexation of at least parts of Ukraine include Denis Matsuev, Vladimir Spivakov, and Sergei Stadler. (http://mkrf.ru/press-tsentr/novosti/ministerstvo/deyateli-kultury-rossii-v-podderzhku-pozitsii-prezidenta-po-ukraine-i-krymu)

I know I'm boycotting them all.

Post by Fugue April 12, 2014 (35 of 52)
Polarius T said:

Ethically minded prospective buyers may like to be aware of the following before making their purchase decisions: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/peter-g-tatchell/valery-gergiev-russia-ukraine-_b_5130593.html?just_reloaded=1&utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

While Gergiev has been the most vocal of all Russian artists supporting Putin's repressive politics at home and military-imperialist projects abroad, others publicly stating their support for his invasion and annexation of at least parts of Ukraine include Denis Matsuev, Vladimir Spivakov, and Sergei Stadler. (http://mkrf.ru/press-tsentr/novosti/ministerstvo/deyateli-kultury-rossii-v-podderzhku-pozitsii-prezidenta-po-ukraine-i-krymu)

I know I'm boycotting them all.

Gosh, without your support, Gergiev et al might end up homeless.

Post by Polarius T April 12, 2014 (36 of 52)
Fugue said:

Gosh, without your support, Gergiev et al might end up homeless.

As I said, the point is an ethical one. You understand the term?

These people are not in danger of having their economic well-being put in jeopardy by the likes of us. They've got a friend in a high place.

But writing protest letters to LSO might help leave a mark if effectiveness is your concern: http://lso.co.uk/contact-us

Post by steviev April 12, 2014 (37 of 52)
Polarius T said:

While Gergiev has been the most vocal of all Russian artists supporting Putin's repressive politics at home and military-imperialist projects abroad, others publicly stating their support for his invasion and annexation of at least parts of Ukraine include Denis Matsuev, Vladimir Spivakov, and Sergei Stadler. (http://mkrf.ru/press-tsentr/novosti/ministerstvo/deyateli-kultury-rossii-v-podderzhku-pozitsii-prezidenta-po-ukraine-i-krymu)

I know I'm boycotting them all.

Yaaaaawn.......

Nobody cares.

Post by Disbeliever April 12, 2014 (38 of 52)
steviev said:

Yaaaaawn.......

Nobody cares.

+1

Post by Euell Neverno April 12, 2014 (39 of 52)
If politics dictates to art, there will be no art. Strangely, Polarius' boycott is not too dissimilar from the old Soviet political limitations on art and artists.

Post by Polarius T April 12, 2014 (40 of 52)
You must be joking. I said it was an ethical decision for me.*

Nobody cares if none of you cares, and that's not even the point. I care, and that's all I was saying.

For me music (as all arts) has a deeply ethical dimension. You might differ, but, again, who cares. Lots of people do. You're just a couple more. What else is new?


*Like Fugue you don't seem to understand the meaning of this term (despite both being native speakers -- very odd). It means the opposite of both accepting and presenting political dictates.

Page: prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 next

Closed