add to wish list | library


7 of 8 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

Support this site by purchasing from these vendors using the links provided below. As an Amazon Associate SA-CD.net earns from qualifying purchases.
 
amazon.ca
amazon.co.uk
amazon.com
amazon.de
 
amazon.fr
amazon.it
 
jpc

Discussion: Beethoven: Leonore Overture No. 3, Symphony No. 7 - Michael Tilson Thomas

Posts: 24
Page: 1 2 3 next

Post by hiredfox July 11, 2012 (1 of 24)
A rip-roaring edge of the seat performance from MTT to really annoy those - mostly Americans - who suggest that he "can't do" Beethoven. The stuff of standing ovations with audience going wild to prove it. What the old master would have thought is anybody's guess but this is one you just lie back and enjoy. I loved it! They're all learning from Fischer methinks, the need for a USP these days.

No question marks at all over this Leonore, beautifully paced and oozing emotional insight. Beguiling.

Post by nucaleena July 11, 2012 (2 of 24)
hiredfox said:
They're all learning from Fischer methinks, the need for a USP these days.

USP? Que?

Post by Polly Nomial July 11, 2012 (3 of 24)
Unique Selling Point.

Post by Vaan July 12, 2012 (4 of 24)
Great performances. Among the best ever with sound to match. Short playing time though, and applause after both pieces.

Post by sunnydaler July 12, 2012 (5 of 24)
if you have Facebook account and US IP address, try this
http://mog.com/m/album/65787107

Post by wehecht July 12, 2012 (6 of 24)
hiredfox said:

A rip-roaring edge of the seat performance from MTT to really annoy those - mostly Americans - who suggest that he "can't do" Beethoven.

I know, it really bugs me to see all those silly Americans picketing MTT's every performance here in Philadelphia carrying signs saying BUT HE CAN'T DO BEETHOVEN.

As to the disc, yes, it's excellent in all respects except the stingy timing. The MTT/SFSO 5th is also very fine and is coupled much more generously with a lovely performance of the 4th concerto with Emmanuel Ax Beethoven: Symphony No. 5, Piano Concerto No. 4 - Michael Tilson Thomas.

Post by Chris July 12, 2012 (7 of 24)
Vaan said:

Great performances. Among the best ever with sound to match. Short playing time though, and applause after both pieces.

What about tempi?
Is the third movement played at the whirlwind tempo Beethoven obviously wanted?
I definitely like MTT's Beethoven 5.So basiclly I am interested.
But for the next couple of days I will find out what Daniel Barenboim has to say on the subject of Beethoven symphonies with an orchestra full of young people.
I have only heard the 1st two times so far.And although a bit slowish, it is full of both youthful drive and airy detailed very realistic DECCA sound too.
Karajan's early 60s DGG sound now appears thin and a bit harsh in comparison even on SA-CD.
And nowadays I find it difficult to cope with the fact that he didn't divide first and second violins. IMO essential in Beethovens music.
Have you heard the whole "Beethoven for all" set?
If so what are your thoughts?
I couldn't resist the special offer at 35 and 24/96 for all 9, although I really only needed the 1st,and the 2nd and 8th in modern digital recordings.
I would like a modern digital recording of the Leonora Overture No 3 too, although I still enjoy Bernstein's version of it on a mid 70s DGG LP.
Beethoven Overtures are few and far between today both on record and live.
But it seems we can hopefully look forward to a Missa Solemnis from them too. Maybe already next year?

Post by Vaan July 12, 2012 (8 of 24)
Chris,

I have heard the third movement played faster and MTT takes 8.45. Chailly takes 8.11. I think you will find this SACD very impressive.
I haven´t heard the Barenboim set yet.
Thomas

Post by Vaan July 12, 2012 (9 of 24)
There will be a ninth as well next year.

Post by hiredfox July 12, 2012 (10 of 24)
wehecht said:

I know, it really bugs me to see all those silly Americans picketing MTT's every performance here in Philadelphia carrying signs saying BUT HE CAN'T DO BEETHOVEN.

As to the disc, yes, it's excellent in all respects except the stingy timing. The MTT/SFSO 5th is also very fine and is coupled much more generously with a lovely performance of the 4th concerto with Emmanuel Ax Beethoven: Symphony No. 5, Piano Concerto No. 4 - Michael Tilson Thomas.

Ha! ha!

I have the 5th as well. SFSO and MTT seemingly can do nothing wrong right now. One hell of a 'purple patch'!

Page: 1 2 3 next

Closed