add to wish list | library


7 of 7 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

Support this site by purchasing from these vendors using the links provided below. As an Amazon Associate SA-CD.net earns from qualifying purchases.
 
amazon.ca
amazon.co.uk
amazon.com
amazon.de
 
amazon.fr
amazon.it
CDJapan
 

Discussion: Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 4 - Mravinsky

Posts: 43
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 next

Post by Polarius T October 16, 2012 (1 of 43)
[Moved here from another thread:]

wolfE said:

I compared the 4th and the 5th. The result is, what could be expected. The DSD-mastered new [Universal Japan] SHM-SACDs sound a bit better [than their Esoteric equivalents], clearer, more analogue-like timbre, more space between the instruments.

Polarius T said:

Agreed. Actually, I find there to be quite a clear difference in the sonic presentation, or character, between the Universal and the Esoteric releases of these. The latter is more massive and voluminous in the sound image, more forward and muscular in certain ways, which translates into not just room-filling, expansive LF but also boomy, less well defined bass, whereas on the Universal discs everything is clearly more precisely delinated, including instrumental textures, separation, tone, and color, with more details and depth impression thanks to the better separation and clarity. The sometimes almost-screechy upper violins in the Esoteric are very pleasant to listen to in the Universals, and there is clearly more differentiation to be heard in the tutti passages and even in massed strings than before. The Esoterics give what seems at first impression like a bigger mass of powerful sound, but you hear more on the Universals and realize that that big sound mass was rather homogenized and blurry in fact, covering underneath it things you never could hear before.

You might prefer one or the other, but for my ears the increased transparency and clarity that the Universals offer is the thing to be gone for. I previously much enjoyed the Esoteric set, but these Universals, I have to say, clearly outclass it. Very fascinating listening with these well-known works, once more...

I think I'm starting to detect a certain "Esoteric House Sound"...which is not bad, just different, but at any rate not as refined and transparent as the Universals sourced from the original tapes.

Not a big wonder, I guess.

Post by Ubertrout October 16, 2012 (2 of 43)
I want this ever so badly. But it's hard to justify, considering that I just picked up the Muti, Abbado, and Markevitch complete cycles on RBCD for a cost equal to one of these symphonies on SHM-SACD.

Post by dcramer October 16, 2012 (3 of 43)
Ubertrout said:

I want this ever so badly. But it's hard to justify, considering that I just picked up the Muti, Abbado, and Markevitch complete cycles on RBCD for a cost equal to one of these symphonies on SHM-SACD.

Pick up this one instead - it's fabulous and available at a reasonable price:

Yevgeny Mravinsky in Moscow

Post by huizhu55 October 16, 2012 (4 of 43)
Polarius T said:

Agreed. Actually, I find there to be quite a clear difference in the sonic presentation, or character, between the Universal and the Esoteric releases of these. The latter is more massive and voluminous in the sound image, more forward and muscular in certain ways, which translates into not just room-filling, expansive LF but also boomy, less well defined bass, whereas on the Universal discs everything is clearly more precisely delinated, including instrumental textures, separation, tone, and color, with more details and depth impression thanks to the better separation and clarity. The sometimes almost-screechy upper violins in the Esoteric are very pleasant to listen to in the Universals, and there is clearly more differentiation to be heard in the tutti passages and even in massed strings than before. The Esoterics give what seems at first impression like a bigger mass of powerful sound, but you hear more on the Universals and realize that that big sound mass was rather homogenized and blurry in fact, covering underneath it things you never could hear before.

This is exactly my impression comparing the Ansermet Falla SHM-SACD and the Esoteric SACD.

Post by sunnydaler October 16, 2012 (5 of 43)
dcramer said:

Pick up this one instead - it's fabulous and available at a reasonable price:

Yevgeny Mravinsky in Moscow

Yes, the Moscow live performance is more intense in the 1st & 3rd movements than the famous studio effort.

Post by Polarius T October 16, 2012 (6 of 43)
I just don't know if I need Mravinsky outdoing himself in the intensity department.

It's pretty intense as it is, and now the sonics, too, are really something else. That Moscow live from '59 must be in mono, right? Though judging from the clips the sound quality is pretty impressive.

Post by dcramer October 16, 2012 (7 of 43)
It's VERY acceptable stereo as a matter of fact - and yes, the 1st movement is absolutely hair-raising; Tchaikovsky is SUPPOSED to be intense :-)

Post by Claude July 19, 2013 (8 of 43)
This SACD is now out of print. I tried to order it last month from CDJapan, and here is the final update (I'm posting the text because of the lengthy explanation, which may be a standard text or not):

"Hello.
We are sending you this email to provide you with an update on your
CDJapan order.

Unfortunately, due to an unforeseen shortage, suppliers are no longer
able to fulfill orders for the item below.

(CDJapan link)

In order for the distributor to fulfill the order, they needed to
manufacture more copies, but they were not going to be able to do so
unless enough orders accumulated.

Unfortunately, there were not enough orders, and so they did not
manufacture additional copies.

It therefore needed to be cancelled from your order. Please sign into
your CDJapan customer account to view the updated order details.

We are sorry for the inconvenience."


The Symphony 5 and 6 SACDs are still available at CDJapan.

Post by deckerm July 19, 2013 (9 of 43)
I am sure you will get another opportunity when this eventually comes out on blu ray audio.

Post by Claude July 19, 2013 (10 of 43)
Or a hi-rez download. But this was special, in that it is a DSD transfer from the master tapes.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 next

Closed